Some sites say under 50g carbs will get you into keto - others say it must be under 20g. What is your experience?

I've read it both ways. I would love to be able to get into keto at 50 carbs, I guess we all would. But I don't want to spend weeks on 50 and get frustrated, if it was never going to work in the first place. How many carbs have you found will get you into keto?

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • The Carb Manager app has me at 30g of carbs a day.  I was actually wondering this same thing when I set everything up, as 30g a day is pretty low. 

But, like you, I also don't want to waste my time not doing it the right way.  I am interested to hear what others have to say about this. 

• The CM app has me at 18g carbs, almost un-doable. I respect the science behind the app, just wondering if there are other options - maybe 50g will get me in, just slower? or at a lower level? I want to have the best chance of overall success, but 18g may just be too hard for me to do; hence my original question. 

• karen
    • karen.55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi 

I am only on week two but my understanding is 

To get into keto  you have to have a maximum of 30 g net carbs a day. 

If you have   50g I dont think you will get in to ketosis but instead  are following a low carb diet 

If net carbs are further limited to less than 20 grams, then most people will get into ketosis even more quickly.

Everyone is different and there is no set min carb limit so some where I read if you want to know your limit start at 20 and increase by 5 g intervals and measure and see if you get knocked out of ketosis but only read this not tried 

• karen
    • karen.55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Milamber48  is that net carbs  or total carbs. 

• karen
    • karen.55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dinah Danby I have found that at 16g net carbs all fruit and the quantity of vegetables I have has had to change significantly- to achieve that I can only one or two  vegetable with meat a meal eg  cauliflower rice risotto or steak with beans and mushrooms. It was a shock as used to a full plate of vegetables but it is doable with planning and changing what I use to eat 

• karen  That is net carbs. I guess we all live in the net world now?   :)   Is that what you are adhering to when tracking your carb intake in the app?

• karen
    • karen.55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yes mine is 16 net carbs - wish it was more as would love more vegetables and the fruit this time of year esp cherries and plums but dont mind if the scales reward me . On week two so early days . Holiday in 5 weeks time in Asia for a month so keto is out but plan to carry on before and after 

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 175Views
  • 3 Following