Fasting

Hi! I am new to keto ( started 9 days ago) and had a question about fasting. Do you have to start fasting right away? I suffer from migraines and that is the only part I am worried about. I haven’t had any migraines since starting, actually have been feeling really well, I think it’s all the water I’m drinking, close to 100 oz a day. I also have Ultima as an electrolyte supplement, so I feel good! 

I wonder with just starting out, I stop eating at 730 and won’t have anything else until 630-7am the next day, can that count as a fasting period first at least? 

If not, how can slowly add in fasting periods, can you do like 3hr or 4 hrs increments? 

Thank you you so much! 

26replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • When you stop eating in the evening  and it is 8 hours (or more) before you eat that is fasting.   I have GERD and know that anything after 7:30 PM is not good.  When I get up at 7:30 am it is usually an hour or so before I eat so I have fasted for 14 hours. Hope this helps.  The only thing worth stressing about with Keto is your droopy clothes as you drop the weight :)

Like 1
    • Samantha
    • Sdyer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad thank you this helps a lot! Sometimes I think I am overthinking a lot of stuff : ) 

Like 1
    • Debi
    • Debi.8
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hey Samantha I’m on this for migraine too!!! 

Like 2
  • I started keto by doing a 48 hour fast and then eating. I also suffer from migraines and fibromyalgia. Migraines haven’t been an issue as much as my joint pains. 

As for the fasting question, you fast while you sleep so if your last meal is at 7:30 pm by 8 am you’re already 13.5 hours in! Good luck. 

Like 2
  • Samantha  I over think everything also. But I say do as I say not as I do LOLOL

Like 2
    • Samantha
    • Sdyer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Debi do you feel like it is helping you? So far I feel really good! I have had one since starting and it might have been related to not drinking enough water that day. 

Like 2
    • Samantha
    • Sdyer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

DeeGoesKeto thank you! 

• Debi
    • Debi.8
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Samantha yes it is although I have a migraine bright now ( since yesterday ) but a lot less and I think it will get better too

Like 1
    • Mark
    • Mark.15
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Samantha,

Look up Dr. Berg on youtube and watch some of his videos.  He breaks it down to the simplest way that I have found.  Good luck.

Like 2
    • KC
    • seashell_station
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

at least 14 hours minimum if you want to fast....but if you just started keto, I wouldn't fast yet. Use that technique when you hit a weight loss stall...

I just started using it - I'm down 26.5 lbs with around 13 lbs left...so I'm stalling now...so I started Intermittent fasting 16:8, and I'm loosing again..slow, but that's ok.

Like 1
  • KC congrats 

Like 1
    • Samantha
    • Sdyer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Mark thank you! I will deff look him up! I see many people talking about him! 

• Gap4endz
    • Gap4endz
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

KC not sure where to ask this but does my morning coffee take me out of fasting? If it doesn't, I assume the coffee with MCT would. I'm in my forth week, and I naturally go 12-14 hours without food, but I don't think I can be awake for 2 hours without coffee.

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Gap4endz there are a lot of differing opinions on this, and a lot of YouTube videos. If you want to get a fuller understanding of the question I suggest you watch some YouTube videos. IMHO, if it has calories, it breaks a fast. Butter, MCT oil, coconut oil, they all have calories.

Like 1
    • KC
    • seashell_station
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Gap4endz  here's some interesting research on "if coffee does not take you out of ketosis"...

Here's 2fitdocs (real doctors) that show their own blood tests:

Each morning they tested one ingredient:

Day 1 - Black Coffee (the control)

Day 2 - Heavy Cream

Day 3 - MCT Oil (most interesting result!)

Day 4 - Butter

https://youtu.be/iAv-1UHHjeg?t=140

• Rachel
    • Rachel.12
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi there, I 18hr fast and do my cardio on a fasted stomach . It has helped tremendously. I stop eating at 6pm, do my cardio at 6am , and then eat at 12pm . Weight is falling off! Hope this helps . 

Like 3
    • Debi
    • Debi.8
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Samantha  just an update.  I actually got away with using an over the counter last weekend instead of a triptan. I’m hoping that means it works being in ketosis for migraine. 

• Cscilley
    • cscilley
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You do not have to fast to follow keto.  That is just something that some people do.

Like 1
    • Debi
    • Debi.8
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Ok first time seven days  without migraine!!!

Like 3
    • Cyncity37
    • Cyncity37
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

KC  what’s your secret and how long did it take to lose that much?

• KC
    • seashell_station
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Cyncity37  I started Dec 27th...first couple of days definitely went over carbs - learning curve... but still extremely low carbs (I'm a carb-a-holic ).

Calories were set at 1750, I was 183lbs, now I'm 153lbs...(down 30lbs), I slowly dropped calories down only 200 at a time when needed. Kept the carbs around 20-22grams per day.

Now recently, its going slow - around .75 - 1 lb a week --- which under all other diets is normal weight loss :)  My goal is around 143lbs. The last 10 lbs is always slow. I'm going to start incorporating some full body workouts at home a couple times per week.

TIPS: Just stay consistent, pre-fill out your day, use your days off to pre-make things, make sure to watch out for sneaky carbs in the ingredients, don't eye ball your portions - check it to be sure. Don't drop your calories too far down in the beginning especially if you have a lot to loose.  We all were eating way over 2000 calories per day, so its not necessary to go super low. Eating normal and putting carbs low, will make you lose. Then when you have a stall (more than a week), lower the calories again...and so on.

Like 1
  • KC WOW you are doing great, thanks for the pep talk :)

Like 1
    • KC
    • seashell_station
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Like 1
  • DeeGoesKeto 

You can check out Dr Jason Fung concerning IF. 

• KC 

Great video.  I wish they would have tried the coffee with  butter, MCT oil, heavy cream all together to determine if putting them together will change their overall results. 

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 26Replies
  • 347Views
  • 15 Following