Lettuce

So here i thought i would have a really nice and healthy lo carb lunch.   I made a couple of sandwiches (NO BREAD) with lettuce leaves instead and after eating them i put them into carb manager only to find the leaves were 3 carbs...........  glad i only did the 2 sandwiches and not 3 like i would have liked.   

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Are you counting total carbs or net carbs? It sounds like you’re counting total carbs, which is not what most people following keto do. Net carbs allow many more vegetables because you subtract the fiber. That’s why this app is so helpful, it can be set up to automatically subtract the fiber for you and it makes tracking much easier. Total carbs are usually only counted for extreme medical keto diets for treating severe epilepsy that doesn’t respond well to other treatments. So count net carbs and you can have lots of veggies. For example, I keep my net carbs under 20 grams. Yesterday I had an omelette with a large handful of sautéed spinach and some mushrooms. For lunch I had a large salad with mixed greens, a few grape tomatoes, some cucumber and a little bell pepper. For dinner I had tuna taco lettuce wraps and some asparagus. I had net carbs left over. I weigh and measure all of my food, so I’m not guessing. I hope this helps. 

Like 1
    • Dorka
    • Dorka
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Amy, green lettuce is one of really keto-friendly: 1 big leaf 0.4g carbs, small leaf 0.1. In salad - 50g  green lettuce 1.3 g carbs - its much salad. So no worries, your 3 leaves if big - only 1.2 g carbs!

Like 1
  • AJQ thank you 😁

• Yeah that’s what I don’t like about this. I don’t believe in counting the carbs in my veggies in my total net carbs! Is there a way to exclude veggies? 

• biofeedbackrevolution interesting you feel that way. If one is doing keto carbs add up pretty fast. Since normal keto allows about 20 g of net carbs to “ not count veggies” is going to throw one out of ketosis pretty fast. A serving / cup of cauliflower is 5 florets. That’s 3 g of net carbs. A serving isn’t much, so my guess is most ppl have more than a cup. That’s one meal... now add in veggies at breakfast and lunch and carbs from protein ( ie eggs) and one is going to get a lot more carbs than the necessary under 20. Low carb vs keto is really just a few carbs. 

• The beauty of this app is that you can enter into the daily food equation before the food enters your mouth.  That will keep the carbs where they need to be, and the weight coming off.

Like 1
    • TerrorSmurf
    • Never take yourself too seriously
    • TerrorSmurf
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

lauraleegiliberti But surely the thing to worry about is carbs from sugar rather than carbs from fibre.  To be blunt - you need fibre to keep you shitting properly! lol

• TerrorSmurf for me, carbs are carbs. Carbs from heavy cream count as much in my 20 allowed carbs as carbs from lettuce or veggies. A carb is a carb is a carb. I used to fool myself into thinking I was doing “ low carb” when I was actually eating scores of net carbs in veggies. Now that I am measuring and tracking I see much better results and have a new awareness. 
    I count net carbs though, if I didn’t... I wouldn’t last long on this way of eating. 
    to maintain regularity, I drink 4 litres of water a day- no issues that way. Pooping is important!!

• Alan Geni
    • Alan_Geni
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Guys, Alan newbie here, in the same boat, finding it difficult with the lockdown. anyone found any good sites or resources/info to get some focus? Thanks

• Alan Geni 

not sure what you are looking for, but a simply google or YouTube search yields all kinds of information and before/ after shots- depending on your interest.

for good, solid, scientific backed information I use dietdoctor. Really great non “ fake news”🙄 site.

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 275Views
  • 8 Following