UGH!

Someone please help! I was doing great, lost 13 pounds in 4 weeks, never ate one thing I shouldn't have. I keep the net carb count between 20-30. On Thanksgiving day I ate things I shouldn't have, corn pudding, cranberry salad, broccoli casserole, and a small sliver of pie. I didn't eat much of any of it, but I gained 3 pounds. 3 pounds! I got right back on the wagon Saturday, and have only lost one. I'm drinking the crap out of water, I'm so discouraged! I have to have over 20 most days because I work out every day pretty much and don't have energy if I don't eat some. The pee stick shows low/moderate ketosis. What should I do?

17replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Your fine. Just don't worry what the scale says and try not to do that for awhile now. The more you beat yourself up the worse we do. At least you know your fat adapted if that stick turns something! That's an achievement in itself. Keep keto and weigh in two- three weeks. I have a feeling you will do well. 

Like 3
    • stacemont
    • stacemont
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn I just figured something out I think. I'm using swerve in my coffee a couple of times a day. There are carbs in swerve and I haven't been counting them, idk what I was thinking! They are not carbs that affect your insulin levels but carbs none the less! So I won't be doing that anymore!

Like 2
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

If your working out daily and this is a new thing, your scale may go up. Ketogenic is sometimes difficult to tweak while working out. It takes a bit of science to properly maintain.  I would research working out while on keto. The amount of carbs needed typically superceeds the normal 20 with hard workouts. This part of ketogenic I don't know anything about but I know this- be careful. You can injure organs if not done correctly. I don't work out so I never done much research, just what I have read if interjected information.  Kidney and thyroid are a major player in workouts with keto. I know I read that working out depending on the difficult levels require much more protein and at particular intervals coordinated with the workouts. YouTube- I found some body builders on keto there that I stumbled upon.  Good luck and be careful, research. Heavy workouts are a whole new can of worms with keto. 

Like 2
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

stacemont to add, depending on the intensity of the workouts, you may not show ketosis during or after. Your using the ketones for energy. I did see this video on YouTube. Bio 

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn Bios3training on YouTube explains how ketosis works with working out. If you can get past the vulgar language, this cat actually has studies he researched and he reads off in his videos. Look him up on YouTube, and watch his keto vids. He's a body builder and his wife is on keto also- he will sometimes mention her and he ketosis state after working out - how she wasn't in ketosis after. Don't listen around vulgar language sensisitive people though. I will post a link to the one vid . 

Like 2
    • stacemont
    • stacemont
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn I have been working out for years, so it's nothing new. I have been in some state of ketosis from week one, so I don't really understand why I'm not losing more. I usually go over on fat and protein.

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

stacemont building muscle maybe? If your toned up, I think actual fat loss will come in time but the scale may rise. Give it a few months but read about keto and working out. Or, scale back on the workouts a little. See what happens. Less intensity might help the scale. 

• Perry
    • Perry
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

If you are drinking that much water you probably need additional salt in your diet.

Do a google search on Keto and Salt or Keto and Electrolyte for more detail.

• it’s normal for you to gain 3-4 pounds after a cheat day because it’s water weight from coming out of ketosis. once you get back into ketosis it should fall right back off! don’t be discouraged :)

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

loganchilton20152788 agree 

•  Have you ever tried intermittent fasting ?  You can lose those 3 pounds in a day and a half don’t worry about it get back on the wagon and you’ll be fine . You don’t get fat by one meal.

• stacemont
    • stacemont
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

andywood_58f5c 

• stacemont
    • stacemont
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

stacemont I have lost it plus another pound, but enlighten me on the intermittent fasting? This month is full of Christmas parties and dinners and I am doing pretty good but I'm going to end up eating something I shouldn't!

• Look up dr Eric Berg on utube. He will explain intermittent fasting 

• stacemont 

• andywood_58f5c  I have been intermittent fasting for two years.   I am 65 years old.    I once weighed 205 pounds.   I am now at 165.   I am 5‘9“ tall .   Intermittent fasting means that you eat all of your calories and nutrients for the day in one meal .   I eat a ketogenic diet which means that I eat no additional sugars  and eat about 65 to 70% of my calories from fat.   I keep my carbohydrates under 20 g per day and the rest is moderate proteins .   For breakfast it’s black coffee with tablespoon of MCT oil and tablespoon of coconut oil .   The fat in this coffee satiates me until dinner time .   Dinner could be a ribeye with asparagus or brussels sprouts with bacon .   And once a month I won’t eat for three days drinking only water and Himalayan salt .   It sounds crazy but I don’t get hungry as I am running on body fat not sugar this is the whole key behind a ketogenic diet .   By the way I am a retired critical care flight paramedic and have my blood drawn every six months just to keep an eye on everything and it is all perfect .

Like 2
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

andywood_58f5c It's water retention I have found if I have something naughty. Takes a few days to work the bloat off. 

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 17Replies
  • 451Views
  • 7 Following