Protein Struggles

Greetings.  I have been following the Keto regimen for about two weeks.  I feel great and satiated and the scale has started to move in the right direction (Yay.  I lost 5 pounds...10 more to go!).  I have been using testing strips and seem to consistently fall within the small to moderate range of ketone levels (I'm not sure but hope this is ok after reading in Keto Clarity that nutritional ketosis is defined by serum ketones ranging from .5 to 3.0).  That said, I seem to have a consistent problem with keeping my protein intake to a "moderate" level.  I have tried to research what that level should be.  Following the guidance in Keto Clarity and other sources, it sounds like my target range should be 42-52 grams of protein.  I'm struggling to stay within this limit.  I thought the biggest challenge for me would be the reduction in carbs, but instead the hurdle has been staying within my target for protein consumption.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any words of wisdom?  I'd appreciate any suggestions with those more familiar with this plan.  Thanks!     

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

cjdc33 what kind of strips are you using ? Also, the app is just a guide, not the Bible. Your scale is

moving! If your meeting your fat needs but could eat more fats, try that and less proteins. Your into keto only 2 weeks, going over in proteins is okay for now, until your body becomes fat adapted. We suffice our hunger with proteins at first, but more satiety comes later on. Don’t stress about this. Your doing good. When your two/ three months in you should see a difference in how much you WANT to eat. I was amazed even how much protein a brat hotdog on the grill had, I couldn’t eat my protein needs after awhile. I don’t work out so it never stressed me out. Followers put to much emphasis on following the protein rules st first, in what they may not know what is coming, the keto flu. To get past that hurdle is amazing in my eyes. Then, everything falls into place like a deck of cards. If you feel good staying in your net carb amounts now, and go over proteins a little bit, it’s normal and okay. The more strict you are with proteins at FIRST, you may not be successful with so much micromanaging.  Get passed fat adaption, you will see how natural it becomes, the less need for proteins. 

To take awaY, keep doing what your doing, it’s obviously working for you, don’t over think it. 

• cjdc33
    • cjdc33
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Badmojomn 

Thanks so much for your reply and support. I do tend to get into the weeds at times, so your perspective is a good wake up call! I exercise regularly, so I’m sure that helps (mentally and physically).

I’m using Perfect Keto ketone test strips. I noticed a difference this morning. The color changed quickly to the moderate range. I had a lot of fat grams yesterday. 

On another note, I recently ordered some enzymes to help with my metabolism of fats. I do not have a gall bladder and thought it could be beneficial, especially long term. Do you happen to have any experience with that?

Thanks again. My best to you!

• I agree; keeping protein low is much harder for me than the carbs.  Before I share those strategies, let's validate the gram target... how did you get to that range?  Did you use the Carb Manager to compute?  Do you have a total calorie goal?  If not, we should run your metrics through a macro computer to get your target... need your current weight, target weight, and probably gender and age.  

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 221Views
  • 3 Following