Hitting your %s - I get I can’t go over net carbs but what if I don’t always hit protein and fat %s? Will I not hit ketosis??

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I found hitting my fat goal was key for my weight loss.  I stay way under carb goal, slightly under protein and calories and at or occasionally slightly over fat.

• CHDevil
    • Advocating against keto-myths.
    • CHDevil
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Gina Hi. I'd die to know two things...

How long have you been in ketosis ?

How do you over achieve on fat ? I have to drink raw MCT oil just to meat my goals. What am I missing ? Newbie here.

Thanks.

• Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

CHDevil 

Hey.  It took me a couple of days to get into Ketosis.  I started my seventh week today.  Some of the fats I eat are olive oil, coconut oil, coconut cream, toasted saffron oil, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, cheese, avocados, salmon and fatty meats.  I find lots of great Keto friendly recipes on Pinterest. 

Balancing macros can be tricky st first.  The best tip I found was to enter meal in CM app before you eat to see the effect it has on your macros for the day.  You can always delete if needed.  Good Luck.

Like 2
    • Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Toasted Sesame oil not saffron.

• CHDevil
    • CHDevil
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    Gina said:
    Toasted Sesame oil

:drooling:

The thing is, I weigh 200lbs and I get this feeling that I can eat all the avocados in the world, I still won't meat my goals. I've been eating everything you mentioned and it just dooesn't add up... I'll have to try harder.

• Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It will get easier.  Don’t get discouraged.  Just give yourself a chance to adapt to this way of eating.  Focus on staying under carb goals and make adjustments as needed to balance the rest of macros.  It takes everyone a bit to get the hang of it.

• Dana
    • Dana.11
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Avocado, ranch dip, cream cheese, olives, nuts. Add those in and the fat adds up. Soft cream cheese with real bacon bits mixed in is an excellent dip for celery!!

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I had trouble getting enough fat at first, and too much protein, so I  started planning my next day's meals in advance. Once I got a routine down, I was able to add variety and still stay on track.

In the app, put in all your meals for tomorrow now,  see which macros are over and under. Adjust your food's volume to make the day's goals.  (Add more olive oil to your salad, cut your meat portion by an ounce, that sort of thing.)

Try fat bomb recipes or bullet proof coffee for upping your fats, I used protein bars and shakes to fill gaps when my protein dipped. (Sometimes just a half or quarter bar would be enough. )

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

One thing that people don't appear to think about is adding fat to your plate. I guess it's the problem that most of us have been on so many low-fat diets that the idea of putting butter and cheese on food on our plate is sort of alien. But it's the easiest way to pick up fats for Keto.  One nice way to do this is to soften butter and mix it with your favorite seasonings. Italian seasonings, lemon salt, truffle oil, chili oil, garlic, etc. Let it sit for a while covered at room temperature to absorb the flavors, then spoon it by the tablespoon into a silicone candy mold. Put it in the fridge or freezer to set up and then pop them out and put them in labeled Ziploc baggies and store them in the fridge or freezer for easy use. Then you don't need to measure them when you're trying to get your plate ready.

also there must be a million fat bomb recipes that are easy to make and store in the freezer for days when you need a little more fat.

Like 3
    • CHDevil
    • CHDevil
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    goplay said:
    Try fat bomb recipes or bullet proof coffee for upping your fats,

I already am, that's why I'm desperate. Still not enough. There's no amount of nuts that can help me there. Somehow I also don't feel like drinking twice the amount of coffee, or my eggs floating in and dripping with oil.

soften butter and mix it with your favorite seasonings. Italian seasonings, lemon salt, truffle oil, chili oil, garlic, etc.

They actually sell something like that here readily mixed. It's probably the way to go.

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

CHDevil if you don't mind my asking, what fat number are you trying to hit? I don't need to have anything swimming in oil to hit my numbers.

A tablespoon of oil on my salads, fat bombs as dessert, maybe some cheese... that's usually enough. Mix it up with avocados,  almonds, walnuts...

Like 1
    • CHDevil
    • CHDevil
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

goplay about 145-170g depending on whether or not I'm trying to be deficient - i.e. loose weight or not. The thing is, I usually hit 20g carbs way before being anywhere near that number.  I need to look into fat bombs - most likely that's what's missing.

I don't mind you asking at all, quite the contrary.

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm going for 133--that's close enough to say that adding a little more fat than  what I'm doing would work for you.  I'd add avocados (which I often do instead of fat bombs), or go a little heavy on the salad oil or add fat bombs, maybe butter my meat (way better than it sounds!). 

Below is screen shot of yesterday's meals and you can see how it added up for me--basically I have the same breakfast every day, meat and salad for lunch and dinner, then balance things out with snacks and 'desserts'.

I've been off keto for about 6 months and am just going back on--once I'm in the swing, I mix things up a bit menu-wise and usually have a cheat meal once a week.

Like 3
Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 274Views
  • 6 Following