Is ratio important if don't overdo macros

It's pretty tough to keep protein-fat ratio, since you eat lot of meat and eggs. If I eat under my daily budget(no macros over the limit), is ratio important?

Because if I eat f.e. 300kcal less than my calorie goal, I don't want to eat more just to hit fat-protein ratio.

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Absolutely not. Just remember carbs and calories are limits, protein is a goal and fat for satiety. If you feel good and satisfied do not eat more fat to meet a percentage. Fat is fuel. Burned stored fat not fat from the plate.

Like 2
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Absolutely agree with the above comment. I watch grams, not percentages. And calories of course. Percentages on keto were developed for people with medical issues such as epilepsy. Percentages are okay to follow in the very beginning phase as you’re adjusting to the diet and learning, but don’t have much value after that. 

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I’d like to add that it’s more important to meet protein than fat, but close is okay. You never have to meet carbs or fat. Stay under calories. 

Like 1
    • Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think it depends.  300 calories could be 33 grams of fat or 75 grams of protein.  75 g of protein is half my daily goal. 33 g of fat, not so much.  Like AJQ , I watch grams not percentages, ratios or even calories.  All of this is built into the app, the macro ratios are already applied.  The calorie deficit is already set, so subtracting more calories isn't necessary.  In fact, cutting too much can change your metabolism if your body thinks it's starving rather than just cutting off carbs.

0b925123-5b60-ff15-613a-cf0f60aefe5c said:
    Fat is fuel. Burned stored fat not fat from the plate.

While I agree with the idea of burning stored fat, I suspect cutting plate fat too much deprives the body of energy.  Especially before it is truly fat adapted during the first several weeks of going keto. 

Like 1
  • Karbndall 

Also said if you feel good and satisfied don’t eat more fat. If of course you don’t feel good you’ll need the energy from fat.   Amy Berger on Vanessa Spina’s podcast.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 92Views
  • 4 Following