Measuring your meat

Hey all ! I am a bit confused with Carb manager’s meat nutrition. If you look up chicken thigh or chicken leg in food search, the results that come  have bones weight in it ? Like if I measure my chicken thigh and leg it makes 250 grams but if I take bones out the meat that remains is only 100 grams . So how do I add that to my day ? 

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Dru
    • Dru
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello I am a beginner this is my 2nd day so I would like to know. I just add the cook chicken thigh or drumstick.

• I use  bone in, skin on chicken and weigh each piece.  

• Dru If you search for calories of cooked meat vs raw the calculations for cooked is higher.  There is a scientific reason which I can not explain. I found it interesting that cooked meat has more calories :) 

• Meera_a
    • Meera_a
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dru hello, as far as I know we measure raw meat not cooked , or if you measure cooked meat you search for cooked meat in database and add that to your log 

Like 1
    • Meera_a
    • Meera_a
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad  hey , I do the same , but you think that’s exactly what CM has ? They have bone weight included in the weight that comes in chicken thigh or chicken leg search that comes up? 

Like 1
  • Meera_a  I think so because I did buy boneless skinless and they had a weight for it.  

• Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Meera_a I did some research on chicken thighs because I had the same question.  In trying to get an apples to apples comparison, when I look at the numbers for chicken thighs bone-in, skin removed before cooking for 5 ounces it's 245 calories, vs. say Tyson skinless boneless chicken thighs for 7 ounces is 246 calories.   This should compare skinless chicken, bone-in vs. boneless, but the numbers don't make sense.  It says the bone-in has more calories than pure meat chicken that weighs two more ounces.  If the 5 ounce weight included the bone, that means about 4 ounces of meat eaten off the bone gives the same calories as 7 ounces of boneless.  I don't think so.  If the 5 ounces didn't include the bone, then a 6 ounce thigh w/bone, still has more calories than 7 ounces of pure meat.  Conclusion: Don't count the bone weight, either weigh and subtract the bone weight when you're done or you could take the meat off the bone and weigh just the meat.  I just weigh the bone and subtract from the original weight.  Also, the numbers in the database are ball park and not exact.

Like 2
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 782Views
  • 5 Following