Sometimes, it simply feels too tough.

I’ve only recently decided to commit to bettering my health as a whole-mind-and-body, for-the-long-run-lifestyle change. But I’ve got to admit, these last few days I’ve been more down about it than I’ve ever been.

For years I’ve been literally avoiding my reflection unless I HAD to see myself. And without a scale, consistent exercise, or any expectations for myself, I had no idea how out of shape and unhealthy I really am.

Now that I’ve been more active, it’s forced me to take a look at myself in the mirror (exercise classes, gyms, etc.) I hate it. It makes me sad. I had no idea how bad it got. The feeling’s been weighing on me a lot lately, and although I still want to make it work, I’ve got to admit that I’m already feeling defeated just thinking about all of the hard work, money, time, and years it will take to back peddle. 

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Congratulations on committing to a healthier lifestyle.  When I started Keto, I decided to try for 28 days. I was so motivated by the lack of hunger and results, I chose to continue.  Approaching it by setting smaller goals helped a lot. 

I understand wanting to avoid mirrors and being uncomfortable in a gym.  As I started feeling better, I added activities I enjoy like gardening, walking, bowling, golfing, etc.  

Give yourself a chance to adjust to your new lifestyle. It gets easier after your body transitions to burning fat. You can do this.

• Tria
    • Tria
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

One month ago, I reached my breaking point. I hated the way I looked and felt. I had to get my mind to that point to make a commitment and I went in swinging. I started strict Keto and the 16/8 fasting from day one. It was a mind set for me. I have lost almost 10 pounds and I do not exercise although now that it is summer, I am getting outside more. I'm sure exercise will help me even further. You have to want to do it for yourself. Not my husband or doctor. Take it one day at a time. Don' t worry about the gym, focus on your food for now. This is the first time I feel like I can make a change and I have tried a lot of different diets. I am learning along the way but their is a wealth of info online. You can do it!

Like 2
    • Mel Mel
    • Mel_Mel
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hang in there @shanyeats!  Great advice from Tria and Gina.  You started and CAN do it.  Baby steps, one day success at a time, and celebrate only the victories.  The big picture can be overwhelming.  I’ve been doing this a few months, it feels  easy now, and sometimes when I walk by a mirror I do a double take because this has worked so well for me. And I do look different.  You have lots of cheerleaders here, including me!

Like 2
  • Gina I appreciate your encouragement, thank you <3 I am thankful that at least I'm taking up things I like to do, but it really is something I have to take one day at a time (or even less). Thank you, again! <3

• Tria Thank you for the motivating words! That's a good point, I'm so excited to get out more during the summer (but also to eat bad too, lol). But I moved to a new city almost a year ago so there's much to explore! Thank you!

• Mel Mel Thank you so much!!!! I really, really appreciate the kind words <3 You're right - I have to push myself more to celebrate the victories! 

Like 1
    • Vickie
    • Vickie.7
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So proud of you for committing to a new life change. Please don’t give up!! You’ve got this. Keep exercising and you will feel so much better that you will actually enjoy it. Good luck. Keep us up to date. 

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 55Views
  • 5 Following