Keto 101 - basic questions for success

Hi all! I’m in week 2 of “preparation for Keto” I have to change a lot about my life to go full-on keto so I’ve been eating mostly keto, using this app I’m watching how certain foods surprise me with their carbs, watching YouTube videos, reading online, and finding Keto Instagrammers. 

I have a few questions:

calories- I’ve seen you don’t have to pay attention to them. But I’ve also seen not enough causes weight stall and too many can mean the same. Then my question is HOW MANY calories per day? I’ve tried a few of those Keto calculators online and they all give some crazy low amount per day to lose weight. Like 1,460 calories. I think 1,460 is quite low if you look at the averages people aim for on a normal diet. What are your thoughts? 

Veg- If I follow suggestions by this popular keto guy on YouTube, Dr. Berg, he says we need to eat loads of veggies. If I eat a plate of broccoli my carbs are nearly maxed out. How do you have enough veg on this diet? 

Macros- according to keto calculations and this app, I’m aiming daily for 20g carbs/115g fat/89g protein - most days I’m struggling to stay under the carbs, I don’t go much higher but I think that’s down to finding my way. I notice that usually at the end of my day I can hit the fat goal but I fall short on protein by 25g or something. Is this lower level of protein detrimental to my success? 

So yeah those are 3 things I’m wondering about. Thanks for any feedback you have and looking forward to being more involved in the forum! 

2replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Dr Berg states that carbs from vegetables don’t count.  If you don’t get enough leafy green vegetables in your diet your liver will become fatty from eating all the fat with nothing to help clear it out of your body. With that being said, I eat between six and 8 cups of spinach a day. I do not include vegetables that have a high carbohydrate count. I also include a half an ounce of green peppers, a half an ounce of tomato, half an ounce of onion, 1/2 oz bacon bits, 1/2 avacodo, 1/2 oz cheddar cheese and 3 cups of spinach in my 2 egg omelet every morning.  I have this around 11am-12pm because I fast for 18 hours. I do not count these carbohydrates that are in the spinach in my daily total. And I have lost 25 pounds in eight weeks.

Like 3
  • sherrijperry wow! That’s a lot very helpful I’ll try adding spinach I love it anyway so that’s handy ;)

Like 1
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 424Views
  • 2 Following