Not Losing!

I am having a terrible time losing weight with this diet. I wish there was a way for an expert to look at the daily log to see what I could do differently. I am only down 3 lbs from the beginning of Sept. At the beginning, I used a friends blow meter and I was in ketosis for the first few weeks so I know I am following the keeto diet correctly.  I am following everything in Carb Manager that I can. I am suppose to be on 17 of carbs but do go over that but only a few. I have never been above 22 carbs in any given day. I increased my Protein with low cal drinks and hemp hearts as that was always low but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Help! This diet doesn't seem worth it! 

45replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Are you counting net carbs or total carbs? Probably leave the low cal drinks alone. Stick with all natural foods as much as you can.  Up your Fat intake to 80%.  Start intermittent fasting if you can.  

Like 2
    • Lori
    • Lori.4
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am counting net carbs as on the wheel in Carb Manager.  The drink is sugar free and 20 g protein. That seems the only way to get close to the amt of protein i need in a day. I have been getting the right amt of fat in my foods and have not needed too many fat bombs.  Maybe i can increase that.  I guess i can try the fasting to see if that gets me losing. Thanks for the input!

• Lisarose
    • Lisarose
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I understand that fat bombs are not needed if you eat clean. They create carb creep as you usually add sweeteners to them. If you eat a salad add avacado oil. If you have eggs, cook them in kerrygold butter. If you have veggies with dinner, season them with a little oil and butter. Fat bombs are part of a “dirty Keto” diet. I have trouble getting my protein also. I have started adding meat to my salad at lunch, or a hard boiled egg. That helps a lot. Hang in there, I have also read that some people have delayed weight loss after the first two weeks and then nothing for the next two weeks or so.  Once your body figures out what you are doing, some people get the “whoosh” effect. That’s where after about a month of Keto you lose a couple of pounds and then you continue to lose on a weekly basis.  Stay strong, continue to journal, make small tweaks along the way, and learn from your mistakes. Good things come to those who wait. 

Like 5
  • This is what happened to me. First week lost the water weight. Then nothing for two weeks. Third week lost a little. Added intermittent fasting and that has helped. 

Like 6
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Those scales and creeping carbs!

Hemp hearts eek, try total carbs much safer I promise, scales flew down for me once I switched.

https://youtu.be/4nR9_kyAmSY

Like 1
    • Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have been following keto for over 6 weeks now and have not lost a single kilo/pound. I have altered the macro balances, done a 3 day fat fast,  intermittent fasting and increased my fat intake to 85% and all throughout my carb intake has not been over 20g. and in fact has been as low as 10g  a day for a week. I have been very thorough with logging all my food and not “cheated “ at all. I have sought medical advice but there was no joy there. I have tried several different combinations and nothing is working. Very disheartening. 

Like 3
    • Imonaplan
    • Imonaplan
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I know this is 3 or more weeks old but how are you doing now?  I know I have to keep my calories low to be successful.  At least with Keto I’m not starving.  I lose about .5 to a pound a week.  I do not have much to lose. 

Like 2
    • Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I too am having enormous difficulty with keto in that since beginning this diet over 3 months ago I have not lost a single kilo or pound. I even gained weight. I then increased fat intake and drastically reduced carbs - nothing then I played around with the macros - nothing then I did a couple of fat fasts then just lately I have been doing 16:8 fast several days a week and also a couple of 20:4 fasts. Still nothing. Throughout all this my carbs have not been higher than 20g and calorie intake has been within the allotted macro /ratio allowance. I’m extremely disheartened , discouraged and disappointed to say the least.  Not worth all my effort. 

Like 1
    • Lori
    • Lori.4
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Well, down 9-10 pounds in 11 weeks. I only get .5 pounds off in any given week too.  I stick to the diet and you are right about not being hungry.  That is the only reason I am sticking to this. On a blow meter I show a level of .3 or .4 which means I am in ketosis so I don't know what i could do differently. I have learned alot about foods and carbs but most of the time I only lose if I really limit my calories.  How do the pounds "melt off?" 

Like 2
    • Crussell
    • Crussell
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Watch your protein intake as it can shut down ketosis and excess protein can be converted to glucose.  Try increasing your fat intake of healthy fats.  Fat will fill you up, keep you satiated and help  get you to & keep you in ketosis.

• Calories still matter, even in ketosis. Make sure you’re not overeating calories. Also you don’t need to meet fat macro. You want ketosis to burn your own fat not dietary fat. Keep carbs below 20-25 net grams. Protein macro  is a goal.  Make sure you are drinking enough water and getting good sleep. 

Like 3
  • If it just TASTES sweet it is enough to turn off your body’s fat burning capabilities,,, all related to insulin. So drop ALL sweeteners,,, they are all sending the wrong message to your pancreas.

Like 3
    • Crkwolf
    • Crkwolf
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Shona Have you lost inches?  

• Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No. Like I said I’ve not lost a single pound or kilo or inch - zip - zero and I have given up after 3 months of trying and I have tried several keto combinations and included two type of fasts. Thanks for asking anyway. 

• egbridges
    • egbridges
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am having the same issue. I’ve been Keto for 2 weeks, gluten free for a month prior to that. I experienced 3lbs water weight loss the first few days on Keto, then nothing.

The scale now fluctuates daily between the same 1-2lbs. I’ve not eaten any foods that are not Keto, including on Thanksgiving. I’ve been keeping to a 70-20-10% or 75-20-5% ratio daily, went slightly above max protein % only 1-2x. Otherwise compliant. Pee tests are all over the map the last few days, but I’ve also read that those are unreliable anyway.

I try to stay under 1300/1400 calories/day. Went somewhat above (not ridiculously) on Thanksgiving but that’s the only time I’ve gone appreciably above my goal. I’m 46. I did South Beach Phase 1 for 3-4 months about 10 yrs ago & lost a bunch of weight very fast without watching carbs or calories, just eating SB Phase 1 compliant foods.

I’m incredibly frustrated. Do I just need to stick with it? Am I not yet fat adapted? What is happening? I felt like this was my last resort. I’m committed to this being a lifestyle not just a temporary change, but only if it’s worth the effort. So far it’s not at all. 

Like 1
    • Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

egbridges 

• I hit a terrible stall too. I switched to 18:6 IF so for lunch I eat 2 hard boiled eggs and 4 Oz's of summer sausage at noon or 1, 2.5 Oz's of tuna later if the afternoon if needed. And 2 1/4 beef patties and 3 fried eggs in butter at 7:30 pm. The weight is just melting off of me right now. I'm pushing to get totally fat adapted.

Like 3
    • Pam
    • Pam.13
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

egbridges your calories could be too low. I stalled &  had to up my calories. Im short & in a wheelchair now & chose sedentary so they were only 1053. I redid the macros here. Chose next up exercise & list 1# a week. Calories went up 200g. Along with other macros. That was Nov 1 & as of today I've lost 12#. I was surprised. Lost a total of 35# so far. 

Like 4
    • Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

My calories were too low but I couldn’t increase them without mucking up the macros. Calories were set at 1115 but I struggled to get to around 900. Also, I hadn’t stalled as I didn’t lose anything to begin with. Still at a “loss” as to what to do. I haven’t re-started keto again yet. 

• Shona my calories were too low. I lost but stalled. I increased calories,went up 200 a day, & have lost 12# more. 35 total  I'm short & that seems to mess up the macros. They're designed for average height. If you eat 900-1000 calories you won't lose. You need to be 1200. What you need to do is go up to the next higher exercise choice. That will increase your macros. It worked for me. Make sure you're eating the right foods. 

• Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Pamela Prince 

• Shona
    • Shona
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Ok thanks for that. The thing is that I didn’t stall because I didn’t lose anything to begin with. I didn’t get into ketosis. I will try to increase calories without mucking up the macros. What do you mean by the next higher exercise choice. I was certainly doing more exercise but was told that by doing too much it would mess up the macros. I’m still ver confused and frustrated by the whole thing. Thanks anyway. 

• celticgladiator39d1 I would have thought this is too much protein and not enough fat, but so glad it is working!

• Mel
    • Mel.13
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have now been on the diet for 2 months. When I started my goal was 45 lbs. So far I have lost 17 lbs. In the beginning I was loose with my logging and I lost several pounds just losing the bread and starch. Now I'm trying to be serious but meeting protein can be a killer.

Like 3
Like3 Follow
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 45Replies
  • 1823Views
  • 30 Following