Almond Flour

I found Bob's Red Mill  almond flour and whole almond flour today.  It was interesting that the whole almond had 1 less carb.  Does anyone know why? 

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm not sure I understand your question.

• goplay  It is more of a hum scratch my head why Almonds without skin has more carbs than almonds with skin.  It is also true with cheese , sliced vs brick? :)  

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Were they the same brand?  Companies are allowed to round nutritional values.  If they are different companies, they may have rounded differently.  If they are the same company, perhaps the skin has no carbs.  So when you add in the skins it reduces the overall carbs?  Actually, I'll bet that's it. I'll bet the skin is indigestible fiber, so it adds bulk without adding carbs.

On sliced and shredded cheese having more carbs than brick, I understand that they have something added to keep them from sticking together and that adds carbs.

Like 1
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Oh--I see.  More fiber in the skins to count against the carbs?  

Edited to add: I didn't read Moondrake's post until after posting... great minds?

Like 2
  • Moondrake  It is good old Bob's mill and you have earned your chemical certification :). 

Like 1
  • goplay Yep she who has dogs is smart :)

Like 1
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad   And very stylish dogs at that!

Like 2
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lol, yep, they are both lovely.  Zephyr gave me a rare photo opportunity to this morning and I got a couple of good ones.  Typical sighthound, he's usually crashed out flat.  They call sighthounds 40mph couch potatoes for good reason.

Like 1
  • I have a 7 lb poodle, 13 lb cat and a soon to be 20 year old horse.  The horse is providing my exercise. My goal is to fit in my saddle and ride him again :).

Like 1
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad Zephyr is a 120 lb Irish Wolfhound-Borzoi Hound designer bred dog that was found starving in the desert.  Tempest is a 125 lb petite Great Dane girl who was bounced from placement to placement, her last mom got cancer. I adopted both of them two years ago last month. My previous boy Simba was a dog of substance, 165 lbs, 37" at the shoulder, 6'4" on his back feet.  I've been sharing my house with giant breed dogs for 40 years. I briefly was able to have horses, but living in the desert it's just too expensive to feed them. However one of my weight loss rewards will be to treat myself to horseback riding at a local stables once a month or so.  I also like to take horseback riding excursions when I travel.

Like 1
  • How Lucky Zephyr,  Tempest and Moondrake are to have found each other :).  This is my first time with a small dog as I downsized and lost floor space.   Horses are not for the faint of pocket book even in Fl.  For the last 7 years I have been lucky to have grass which helps.  In the summer the electric bill goes up and the hay bill go down. Flip that in the winter :).  When I was working I had up to 5 and downsized to Sam when I retired.  Now I scoop my poop and get my exercise.   I hope we both get back in the saddle by fall :). 

Like 1
    • Rosey
    • Rosey
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The skin on the almond is fiber and subtracts from the carb count.

• Rosey  Thanks I am learning :) 

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 115Views
  • 4 Following