Net Carbs or Total Carbs? New & Confused

I started my Keto journey on Monday but I don't know if I have calculated things correctly... 
I see most people have a Net Carb balance of 15-20 carbs.
I used the part of this app that calculated the deficit for how much I want to lose which did not provide me with a Net Amount, only a Total Carb amount of 19g per day.

Is that too low? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am 180lbs aiming to lose 50lbs to reach my goal weight of 130.

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Welcome. I am no expert on this but from everything I’ve read it is your net carbs that should be under 20 g. In some cases your net carbs could be slightly higher. For example mine is set at under 28 g to start. 

• Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Net carbs or total carbs is an option in settings.  Most people choose net carbs to deal with the fiber and sugar alcohols that don't really count.  In the app on the left side menu is Getting Started, you can go through it anytime and reset your macros, calorie deficit, etc., but you really only need to do it once.   Starting weight, sex, height, activity level, calorie deficit and diet type (keto =5:25:70) will determine your carb gram limit as well as fat and protein.  If you're just starting out, I would recommend hitting your protein and fat numbers, but carb is a limit.  Once you''re  over any keto flu issues, you can vary the fat.  Fat is your body's new fuel source, so hitting that number helps keep your energy up.  Helps..  You're still at a calorie deficit.  Protein is for the muscles, so always important.

• KristieF  & Karbndall  thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate them!!! :) 

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 53Views
  • 2 Following