Type 1 Diabetic

Hi All

Been a type 1 diabetic most of my life...been on insulin since I was 17, I am now 51.. Tried all the "natural", weight watchers, count calorie diets.. you name it, i tried it. Anyways I've discovered that carbs were not my friend. I started just eating the clean foods while being on an insulin pump. It helped but still was not enough. I lost about 10 lbs and wanted to lose more. I did alot of research with keto diets and of course my doctors told me no because of keto acidosis.. learned that there was a huge difference between keto acidosis and ketosis. Well I gave it a try and lost about 15 more pounds . Soon  to find out that insulin was the culprit. (  the more I took, the more my body held on to the fat) So I limit my carbs to about 16-17 net carbs per day. I l only am hungry about 1 time per day and sugars are great! My insulin pump just runs in the background like a artificial pancreas. Because of the kind of foods that I now eat, I do not require any "bolus" ( meal ) insulin. Looking forward to a healthier lifestyle and living alot longer!😊

1reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • That is phenomenal,  I’d always heard too that T1 diabetics shouldn’t do keto. You’re proving how healing keto is for so many different disorders if done in the way that works for them.  

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 7Views
  • 1 Following