Advice

Hi All, 

Any advice on how to respond to people that are overly negative about the Keto diet? I have done plenty of research and love the keto diet, but there are times where I am met with such negativity telling me it’s so bad for you. Do I just not talk about it even though it is something I whole heartedly believe in?

11replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Well, are you personally attached to the way you eat? You could bring about the positive effects it has on you and only talk for yourself, do not try to convince other as food is such a touchy subject because everyone take it so personal. You SHOULD definetly talk and discuss as to why you believe the way you eat is healthy but remind yourself that none wants to be tolk what to do (especially in regards to the food they eat) we attach and identify so much of our persona to the way we eat. If you want to have an positive effects and plant some seeds into the person you are talking to, Just bring about the positive effects you experienced from your diet and maybe draw some similarities to other things in life that seems obvious. Well, I believe You should talk in a way that starts and ends with you and the most important thing is to not make the other part feel threatened. Good lucl! ;) 

Like 1
    • Trina
    • Trina.6
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How about “That's interesting, it's working so well for me so far, but I'll let you know if I run into a problems.” Water off a ducks back.

Like 5
  • You could say that this is the program that doctors are using for diabetic patients with  continued success.. Or you could say nothing.or just could say different programs work for different people which is really the truth

Like 1
    • Showthyme
    • Showthyme
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Tell them that you are doing an elimination diet.  If they continue, then you can delve into the positive effects of Keto. 

• karen
    • karen.55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It's really annoying isnt it and  I found myself having to bite my tongue because of  course they are right - despite fact different plans suit differ people- made me more determined to lose weight to show them. 

• there are just some folks who will not be open to any way but theirs.   when I run into one of them I don't continue to engage because there is no swaying them.  when they start to denigrate my WOE I just look at them and say "Hmmmm"  They eventually get the message that I am not a target for their usually inaccurate opines.   They are not worth my time or attention.   on the other hand, if someone is interested I can give them 20 years of experience a little at a time.

Like 2
    • Bgump502
    • Bgump502
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So I know at the gym I go to, you start mentioning Keto and everyone hates it (body builders love carbs for muscle mass), so I typically just say I’m either doing “low carb” or “cutting out sugars” and just leave it be. I have found out a lot of people that do Keto that I didn’t know which has lead to some good conversations. 

Like 1
    • Maui2020
    • Maui2020.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don't tell people I am doing keto for this reason so what I do say is that I am eliminating all processed Carbs (like the potato chips, cookies, bread, pasta...) from my diet. 

Like 1
  • I used to use another app to track and there were people using a lot of different diets. But there was a group of CICO calorie counters who were downright mean and abusive toward keto people.   

Like 1
    • Aimee
    • nola3mom
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I absolutely hate that. I tell people that they are clearly uneducated regarding the diet and once they do their own research on it, then we can continue the conversation then. 

Like 1
    • Ronford
    • Fin’l Advisor
    • Ronford
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

When I've been asked if I'm losing weight, my reply is 'a little'. They always reply with how are you doing that.... I'm sorry but people are pretty noise, especially if they know you pretty well. My pat answer is; I'm changing my eating habits by cutting back on sugars & carbs.  I leave it there if possible and don't mention how much I've lost... if they persist I assure them it isn't the weight I'm concerned with, my concern is do the cloths still fit.  I refuse to buy bigger clothes due to lack of control over my fork.😂

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 11Replies
  • 231Views
  • 12 Following