Kidney pain

Hello, this is my first post.  I've been strict Keto for 2 weeks and am experiencing pain on both sides of my lower back, assuming it's kidney.  Can anyone relate or give any advice for dealing with it?

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • First, see a doctor. Second, if it is kidney, they’ll tell you to reduce your proteins; so make sure now that you’re not eating an excessive amount of protein. For the sake of your kidneys and to still be keto limiting it to 20% is probably appropriate.  Hydration is also imperative...for someone with kidney issues, that means more than the standard 64 oz per day. Good luck!

Like 1
  • Pain in the kidney is obvious, keto diet stress more on protein and literally no or little on carbs. Due to excess protein, stress on your kidney increases causing pain.  Stay hydrated and limit the intake of protein. 

• karen
    • karen.55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I would speak to your dr . I would also make sure you are having lots of fluids. I currentky have a kidney infection so I am on antibiotics so not doing keto but still doing low carb high fat plan .

Like 1
    • Sally
    • Sally.13
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Very high protein diets can result in kidney disease and albuminuria immediately add more carbs n fluids and see the dr today

• the change in your urine chemistry could also have uncovered latent lithiasis.  if stones are present in the kidneys and are now moving around it would cause pain.  If I were you I would ask for a CT to check for stones as well as kidney disease

• rontamf
    • rontamf
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Oxalates in leafy green vegetables like spinach can cause kidney stones. To counter it consume fresh squeezed lemon juice about 1 tablespoon every other day. I put 1 Tbsp in a 12 glass fill with ice then water. Lemonade, it stops my pain that flares up in its tracks

• Dorka
    • Dorka
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Glowgirl is on strict keto so this is 20% protein, need not less.

I also (keto) har pain back in the left kidney region since keto (2 weeks). Eat much spinach, will take lemon juice thanks rontamf

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 2661Views
  • 9 Following