Ridiculously tired after hike, feel sick!!!

Hey there,

I’ve been in ketosis for over 3 weeks now, and haven’t ever really felt the “flu.”  I’m pretty sedentary, but today I went for a hike with my family (which should’ve been a moderately  difficult one for me) and it felt IMPOSSIBLE!!  Seriously, it was pretty hellish on the way up. Down was better, but now (a couple of hours later) I still feel wiped and sick. We hiked in the morning after I had my butter coffee, but before any solid calories or carbs. Came home and made myself get some food into me, but I really didn’t want to eat anything at all.  I feel broken, and I’m a wee bit worried that perhaps I shouldn’t be doing this if I can’t even go for a family-friendly hike!!!  Tell me all will be okay???

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Are you getting enough protein? Protein is incredibly important. Also, in the early weeks salt is also important. Drink some broth when you’re feeling tired and see if that helps. Lastly, track your food, weigh and measure to make sure that you’re not shorting yourself on protein or calories. 

• Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It gets better!  iirc, I went through that feeling at about 3 weeks too, after some yard work.  🙂  I just remember thinking "I can't operate at this low of an energy level."  I've heard it can take several weeks to get "fat adapted" and then you'll have all day energy.  There is a difference between fat adapted and ketosis.  Days to get into ketosis and weeks to get fat adapted.  If your body has been addicted to carbs/glucose, it takes a while to "adapt" to running on fat/ketones.  I don't think this is explained very well in most places.  I know it gets mentioned, but not really explained well.  IMHO

• Gorjess
    • Gorjess
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

AJQ I’m pretty sure I am doing all of that. Weighing, measuring, taking electrolytes in my water, the works. I am having a hard time meeting my calories, though.  I meet the fat and protein macros, but the carbs are always short, and I’m missing calories. Perhaps that is part of the puzzle. Thanks!

• Gorjess
    • Gorjess
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karbndall that helps tremendously!!  I was thinking that I was fat adapted because I’ve been in ketosis for over three weeks.  But perhaps not yet??  I can handle this for awhile longer, as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks much. 

Like 1
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Also, I found getting enough sleep is very important. Sometimes I just need a nap, very infrequently, but when I get that tired I listen to my body. I’ve also got much better about having a consistent schedule of getting to sleep at night. Hope you feel better soon. 

Like 1
    • Bgump502
    • Bgump502
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So I’m my case, it got better after about 4-5 weeks. At week 3, I wanted to give up. 

I am heavy lifting and doing minor cardio 3-4 times a week in addition to the diet. I can tell you that it’s gotten easier being more active than it was in the beginning.  But I was also very sedentary for a long time  

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 118Views
  • 4 Following