Glucose/Keytone Monitoring

I want to stay on top of my blood levels to ensure I am staying healthy and to facilitate the best results possible.  When do I test? When fasting? How often do I need to do them? What is the favorable result?  Thanks for your help!

14replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Charlie
    • Charlie.5
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have never tracked my ketones. Most of what I’ve read says it’s pointless once in ketosis because if eating keto you’ll most likely be in ketosis. Anyway, I do track my glucose. I’ve never been diabetic, but like you I just want to monitor for personal health and awareness of how food effects me. I check in the morning when I wake up for my fasting level since I haven’t eaten do 12 plus hours. I then check about 2 hours after eating, especially after eating something new so I know how it effects my glucose. I’m always hoping my glucose stays under 100. Usually it does. There is a thing called the Dawn Phenomenon for diabetics. Sometimes when I wake up and check glucose, I’m around 103 because of this phenomenon (I think.) I read some research on apple cider vinegar (with what’s called “Mother”) that suggested a tablespoon of the vinegar before bed will lower morning, fasting glucose up to 4%. I tried it, and for me it worked so I continue to do it. As long as my glucose is under 100 when fasting and under 140 after eating, I’m happy because the glucose meter instructions and other health websites  say this is the norm for non-diabetics. I don’t really know what I always hope it’s under 100. I guess it’s just my personal challenge. 

• Tracy DiMele
    • MommyNinja
    • MommyNinja
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What device are you using for blood ketone tests? Looking to purchase one.

• I use a Keto Mojo- I find it is a motivator to keep me on the diet.  It can measure Ketones and Glucose

Like 1
    • DanW
    • DanW
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I too use a Keto Mojo blood monitor. They are easy to deal with and have great prices on test strips. If you haven't been on their site before, they have a ton of information which could be of value to you---

• MK
    • titanium_feather.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just started the Keto plan 4 days ago.  I purchased the KetoBM monitor and tested this morning before eating, for the first time and got a result of 0.3.  I believe that the goal is to be between 0.5 and 5.0.  Anyone know if that is correct?  How often should I check?  Perhaps weekly at first, then monthly?  Should it be before eating or a couple of hours after eating??

• Dskoppy
    • Dskoppy
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I've been looking into the keyto breath meter. Anybody use this? 

• Showthyme
    • Showthyme
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am curious about the glucose side of this too. I have the blood meter and track ketones occasionally but I think that glucose must play a very important part of keto.

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No need to test ketones. It’s more important to count net carbs and weigh, measure and track food to make sure you’re eating at a calorie deficit too. And recalculate your macros every once in a while as you lose weight. 

Like 1
  • It really isn't needed to do any of this. My symptoms such as parched dry mouth keyed me in I was in ketosis.

• MK i know im late but i have this meter and im thinking of trashing it to get the keto-mojo! i think its inaccurate becuz i can test literally back to back and can have totally different measurements 😒

• Hutch
    • KetonicManic
    • Hutch.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dskoppy After a lot of research, I opted for the KETOSCAN Mini breath analyzer and love it. It’s a high quality unit (not like those cheapo meters you see on Amazon), it’s consistent, super easy to use, and long term is much cheaper than a blood meter and lots of test strips which cost about a dollar each. It costs about 3 times as much as a cheap blood meter, but after 300 uses you can have it reset at a cost of just $30. I have an aversion to pricking my fingers (most people don’t, but I do). I like to test a few times per day and use it to see how different foods affect me.

But if you only want to check your Ketones a few times per week and are OK with finger pricks, a blood meter like the Keto Mojo may be your best bet. 

Truthfully speaking, you don’t really NEED to test for Ketosis. It’s just nice to know info. Stick with the process and your scale and tape measure will be your meter. :)

Like 1
    • AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I tested ketones in the beginning (I’ve been keto over 8 months), but I found that it was a waste of time and money, and totally unnecessary to be successful. Believe everyone who tells you that the numbers become meaningless as you progress on keto. There’s lots of resources online that explains the process. I’ve found the best tools in your toolbox are a good food scale and carb tracking app. Count calories and macro nutrients and you’ll be successful as well as develop life-long skills that will keep the weight off long after keto. A ketone meter won’t do that for you IMO. 

Like 1
    • Jen
    • Jen.90
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I used keto urine strips in the first couple of week as it gave me a buzz to know the process was starting. I agree with the above though I don't need to buy blood or breathe tests because what will it tell me? That I'm in ketosis. I already know that. So to me I don't see the point. 

• Hutch
    • KetonicManic
    • Hutch.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

As I said earlier, you don’t really need to test once you are in Ketosis. It’s simply nice to know information. Personally, it helps motivate and spur me  on and also helps me identify meals that worked and those that didn’t. 

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 14Replies
  • 297Views
  • 13 Following