Sugar free chocolate/candy?

I recently found sugar free Reese's cups and some other Hershey's chocolate snacks, as well as a whole bunch of Russel Stover sugar free bits of chocolate awesomeness. I was very excited because I saw them as  way to treat myself to some of the things I love the most and not kick myself out of ketosis since net carb count is very low. 

Does anyone have anything to share about this? Is my assumption correct? Has anyone actually measured the effect sugar free products have on them? 

28replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jetgo1000 Malitol spiked the blood sugars and lowered ketone levels of the couple who do Keto connect on YouTube. They stated malitol is no good, for them anyhow. Ill take their word for it, they mentioned Russell Stovers is a no” also. They took out their testing kits after ingesting a bunch of artificial sugars. 

Like 3
    • Jetgo1000
    • Jetgo1000
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Badmojomn crap that sucks 😅 thanks for letting me know, though! I'll be sure to do more research before I get all excited and go crazy over something. I'm worried I undid whatever was going on in my body this past week. 

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jetgo1000 Jetgo1000 please try Lily’s chocolate. I ordered a box of 40% milk bars. These are delish, so close to real chocolate, I can’t tell the difference. Order from their site or amazon. 

Like 2
    • Jetgo1000
    • Jetgo1000
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Badmojomn way ahead of you sister! Just ordered a couple bags Lily's sugar free chocolate chips and some dark chocolate bars from Thrive Market. I'm excited to try them out! Being keto is kinda expensive tho! 

Like 1
    • lori11530
    • lori11530
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I buy Ghiriadelli 85% or 90% cacao chocolate bars. 2 squares of the 90% is 3 grams net carbs. And I find that the slightly bitter taste satisfies and curbs my chocolate cravings.  I use this as a snack after dinner. Seems to work for me anyway. 

Like 3
  • Avoid Malitol and Xylitol. They have the same, or nearly the same, impact as cane sugar.

Like 1
    • Jetgo1000
    • Jetgo1000
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

MamaMoosicorn Xylitol too!? 😫 I may have been screwing myself over these past couple of days. But Erythritol is safe, thought, right?

• According to Dr Jason Fung, any artificial sweetener will cause an insulin response just like sugar or starch, and cause blood sugar to rise and your body to react just as if you had consumed sugar, even tho it may be calorie free.

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Urbanhiker very true, once the insulin is released however, there’s nothing for it to do....... which triggers hunger so that you feed it’s need. Enough said for me, it is very rare I consume any.

• Joanna Actually, the insulin response is a bad thing if you are insulin resistant, as most obese people are. The only helpful thing about artificial sweetners is they have little or no calories, which means nothing for LCHFers.

• Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Urbanhiker to start a sentence with ‘actually’ implies a correction regarding something said, I was in fact stating the negative effects of insulin not disagreeing with concerns.

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

https://youtu.be/Uc3yyiXUrtg

very informative 

• Urbanhiker  I think stevia is the exception as it’s a natural substitute. However, it’s difficult to find a pure stevia sugar most are blended with erythritol or maltodextrin. Just look for the sugar that has stevia as the first ingredient. 

• Alter Falter
    • Business Intelligence Professional
    • Alter_Falter
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

andruboine Where does erythritol stand, with the whole insulin response phenomenon? (pardon my choice of words...)

• scjudd1986
    • CAD Tech
    • scjudd1986
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

There are a couple of channels on YouTube who have measured the effects of sugar/sugar substitutes/natural sweeteners on both their blood glucose and blood ketone levels.

Search for Keto Connect and 2FitDocs.

• Doreen W
    • RN Consultant
    • dorbett12
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Does anyone know about the effect of sugar-free gum?  I am a huge addict (pack a day) and not sure I can give it up in addition to the major changes I've made in the last 3 weeks since starting a Keto plan.  However, I weighed in this morning and actually gained 2 lbs last week, so now thinking this may have a correlation?  Any thoughts on this topic?  Thanks!

• Ceja
    • Ceja
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi all, hope you are well.

I am a newbie to this app, and this is my first post, and am I am hoping it is ok to rant at a mistake I just made.. so I had a bag of sugar free cola bottles in the cupboard for when times got tough and tonight was that time. I duly scanned the bag in the app and thought wow, only 3 diabetic carbs for the bag.....and promptly inhaled them all, delish!

and then........my scre....sorry, stuff up, dawned.... it was 3 diabetic carbs per blasted sweet, and 50g diabetic carbs for the whole bag, man.......I am really cheesed off! But also laughing at myself for my sheer daftness

if it seems to good to be true, it probably is

onwards and downwards go the scales, no idea what my glucose readings will be in the morning

• Ceja I do quest bars with lowest net carbs like brownie but not every day. Take carbs and subtract fiber grams to get net carbs. Girl needs her chocolate.

Like 1
    • Lisarose
    • Lisarose
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You shouldn’t have any treats. sweeteners will raise your insulin and create cravings. If you are hungry, have a salad, or some fatty hamburger. The more treats you have the harder it is to stay in Ketosis 

Like 1
  • There are many dessert products out there but they are bit expensive compared to their with-sugar counterparts. Worth-buying though.

• TN Farmer Lady
    • Home based business builder
    • TNfarmerlady
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

andruboine I get the liquid stevia and add a few drops to my beverage or whatever. I think most of the liquid forms have no other sugar alcohols. I get mine at Vitacost.com .

• CarbHM
    • CarbHM
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Badmojomn  do they effect your stomach like most Sugarfree chocolate.. "ain't nobody got time for that" lol

• Lisarose
    • Lisarose
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Urbanhiker  anytime you eat anything you cause an insulin spike.

• Lily’s is yummy!   Chips for fat bombshell or just to add fat. Or try choc zero!! Amazon. Very yumish! 

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 28Replies
  • 1122Views
  • 19 Following