Lowering fats once fat adapted?

Please link any factual articles you have on this subject, still learning/ stumbling along on my journey. I am within 5 pounds of goal weight and have not been able to lose the last 5 pounds. I read article after article of lowering fats and increasing proteins slightly once you are fat adapted.. the theory is: if you are not ingesting the fuel (fats) then your body will pull from the body's fat stores. Is this accurate? Another article reads that if you have a large amount of body fat left to lose, then that would constitute lowering fats.. otherwise  individuals on the lower end of their weight loss would continue to eat the higher fat ratio. A woman who graduated a dietician, with a degree specific to ketogenic diet... says the fat intake to protein intake is 2:   

so if I eat 90 grams of protein then I should be eating 180 fats by that theory.. that's alot of fats.. 

I figured my protein intake by using the 0.6 grams of protein multiplied by my "ideal" body weight of 150lbs and that gave me 90 grams of protein. Up until this past Monday I had been allowing carb manager to figure out my macros.. and it had me set to eat 96 grams protein  and 116 fats with 18 net carbs for a 70 25 5. As of recent.. I changed it to a 67 28 5 ratio.. 

This is terribly confusing, opinions and articles contradict each other... what is the TRUTH?? 

Could someone please take the time to point me in the right direction as to how macros should be set once fat adapted... please? 

16replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube check out he video's on intermittent fasting. I have been following him for the six months. Excellent education on ketosis.

Like 1
  • Yes eating only once a day my fat intake is 86 grams and I eat 20 and under carbs and 3 to 8 ounces of protein. When you are fat adapted your body is burning your own fat for energy. Like I said Dr. Berg breaks it down to the cellular level how ketosis and keto  works. The only thing that changed for me was lowering my fat intake now that I eat one meal a day. He also made a video on the loss of the last 10 pounds check it out.  He educates and I like that a lot and it's worked for me. 

Like 1
  • Go to drberg.com and he is also on Facebook and he does weekly live program's on YouTube where he answers questions. Have a great day.

• Thank you, I have watched several of his videos, including the ones where he specifies to lower fats but as 1 individual among many who have such diversified macros.... i get lost as to the "next step". I have read and researched further since this post and i am 100 % convinced that i need to lower fat  percentage. i have lowered it to 67/28/5 and keeping with the same caloric intake of 1533. i have a very physically demanding job, that is 12 hours a day, i havent been certain that i am eating enough or only losing weight as a result of malnourishment... seems to take me longer to heal from simple scratches cuts and brusises... like 3 weeks... but i feel good, estatic with the loss... so whether right or wrong on the macros, I have stuck to it rather than be my own guinea pig... so i was hungry today... mild hunger pains.. but got involved in a crafting project and forgot about the hunger.. if this week does not effect the scales negatively, should i continue to slowly lower the fats and increase protein until the scales spike up? scales spiking up would reveal the sweet spot for maintaining my weight, correct?  

• Hi Dr. Berg recommends that the carbs and protein stay the same. Watch his video on calorie and macro confusions & details on intermittent fasting. YouTube excellent !! He breaks it down and very easy to understand.  Do you take minerals ? Also you may need some specific vitamins . Because of cuts not healing. He is a expert  in the ketogenic diet in practice for over 27 years so check out the above video. 

Like 1
  • Yes I love dr. Berg and have watched many of his videos.. he is where I found the info on lowering fats once adapted... 

Oh here we go again... lol why is everything about this diet contradictions??

Like 1

• Watch "What is "Too Much" Fat on Keto (ketogenic diet)?" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/Y-SOmLTahfI

Like 1
  • Ya I understand that. The contradictory videos i have watched and I stop watching them ! There is a great body builder by the name of Thomas Delauer  that does education on youtube about macros and the science on the body . He is very smart i like him. 

Like 2
    • Nita
    • Nita
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Congratulations on being within 5 of goal! 🙌

Check out these two brief videos:

Questions about Fat Consumption with Dr Westman:  https://youtu.be/q2g_8m8BnQo

KETO Fat Facts with Casey Durango:

https://youtu.be/rigZhFO4jM8

Like 3
    • Nita
    • Nita
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Congratulations on being within 5 of goal! 🙌 

Check out these two brief videos: 

Questions about Fat Consumption with Dr Westman:  https://youtu.be/q2g_8m8BnQo

KETO Fat Facts with Casey Durango: 

https://youtu.be/rigZhFO4jM8

Like 2
    • linrenep
    • linrenep
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I found 2fitdocs videos have a lot of helpful info. It is 2 doctors ( husband and wife). The husband is doing the keto journey (the wife is a weight loss expert). Informative and easy to watch as they address issues that come up for him as he goes through it.

Like 1
  • Maybe what's throwing you is that it's about 2 to 1 calories--not grams?   And fat is 9 calories vs protein is 4.

Like 1
  • Joanna ahh this I can do.  I have been considering a Keto diet but like others  the more I read the more confused it get.  This I can understand and makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Like 2
  • marleyinoc so true. Calories, grams, percentage all become a blur with my research.

Like 1
    • linrenep
    • linrenep
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

One more thing that might clear up some of your confusion. No two bodies are alike and what works for 1 may be wrong for others. You need to listen to your own body. Experiment a little with different options but ultimately it's your body and only you can know what makes you feel best. That goes for eating styles, when to eat what and even how much is optimal weight. Ever think maybe you are having trouble with those last 5 lbs is because you feel better at this weight? I have found sometimes when I hit a stall I just need to stay there for a while. When my body's ready and if I'm eating correctly and feeling good it will start dropping again. Enough preaching. 

Like 1
  • thank you all for the information, and new sources of videos to reference! I so appreciate your feedback.. still hanging onto that five pounds... yes, linrenep it is very possible that my body is saying, " hey, i am good with the current situation..." Im down from a size 14 to a loose 8 and a tight 6... (yep, i had to try them on just for motivation..) but I have always  been more muscular, I grew up on a farm, played sports in school, and always seem to have had a very physically demanding job.. Add that to being a medium frame, with a size 10 shoe... lol yeah.. even i think... ok time to do maintenance. however my doctor says being on the lower end of your ideal weight is better. at 5' 10, my lower end is 144.... I have absolutely no not any intentions of weighing 144.. no desire to weigh that.. i just figured really, at 155 currently, a 5 pound "buffer" wouldnt hurt.  

Like3 Follow
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 16Replies
  • 3827Views
  • 7 Following