Sweeteners?

How does everyone feel about sweeteners? Does this affect your weight loss?

My husband is off and on Keto all the time, and has always had lots of success. The pounds seem to melt off him in a matter of days (problem is they also add back up so easy with just a few cheat days) He recently restarted Keto, and I started for the first time with him. When he was doing it on his own he was very strict on himself and did lots of fasts. I, apparently, am a bad influence and sought out “cheats” to help me get thru it.  I discovered Keto coffees at Starbucks that we indulged in a few times, and I also bought sugar free syrups to make our own at home, and sugar free Reese’s. He didn’t go too crazy with these things but did have one sugar free thing every other day or so. He is on week number two and has barely lost anything. (I have lost nothing) Normally he looses 10+ lbs in a week...not exaggerating...it’s crazy. This time he has lost, maybe, 2-4 lbs. 

I was wondering if these sugar free treats were doing something to his blood sugar, causing him to not go into ketosis? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it better to just avoid these things?. (I know they aren’t great for you anyway, but in regards to Keto, do they affect weight loss?)

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Some people feel they affect weight, loss other people do not.  Different people respond differently to these sweeteners, some people some of them cause a spike in glucose and others not. The best way to test that would be to have a glucose meter. I would suggest that you check those sugar-free Reese's and make sure they don't contain maltitol. I understand maltitol really does cause a blood sugar spike.  I predominantly use Stevia, sometimes erythritol. I do use the flavored syrups with sucralose for making desserts and occasionally in my tea. I'm not a fan of sucralose, it tends to give me headaches. But for some reason neither Stevia nor erythritol, especially erythritol, make my tea taste sweet, even though they make desserts taste sweet. I suspect it has to do with the acidity of the tea. Rarely I go back to my old favorite, aspartame, but that's a special treat that I only allow myself once or twice a month. It's always been my favorite sweetener since it was invented. The first time I tasted aspartame sweetened soda was the last time I ever drank corn syrup sweetened soda.

Like 3
    • Dorymae
    • Dorymae
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You do have to restrict your sweetened treats - at least I did.  Realize not all sweeteners are equal and some do affect your blood glucose, even though they claim to be 0 or 1 carb per serving.  There are some good YouTube videos on the different sweeteners. A really good one is by ketoconnect.  Start by educating yourself on sweeteners and then read your labels to see what they are putting in your sweet treats.  Even sugar alcohols are not created equal. 

• I use sucralose (Yes, I know that is not the best keto sweetener) (justr for tea or coffee but i really don't drink a lot, maybe one per week) and monkfruit just for make my desserts.

• Sparky1
    • Let your light shine!
    • Sparky1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I only do stevia, erythritol, monk fruit extract, or xylitol (if have pets, don’t feds them this). I find the others create hunger, or cause the same kind of blood sugar response as in eating sugar.  Also, when starting any plan, usually the first bit of weightloss is water, but still encouraging. My husband is the same way- it’s a male genetic thing. 🙄 Usually, when my husband decides to stop eating something, it’s like all in and no compromise, so drops weight right away. But gaining back is quick too.  

For me, I have done low carb for 4 years, lost 25 pounds and 22 inches. I did it slowly over 3 months and have maintained it. I fluctuated up and down the same 5 pounds during this time. As soon as I eat sugar and refined carbs I puff up, hold water, and look fatter even though my weight doesn’t change  

Anyhow, I have a lot of experience with low carb, and with baking with these sweeteners.  I also have a lot of recipes on my Pinterest board, if you’re interested.

Like 2
    • Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sparky1 Congratulations 🎊🎈Have you changed your Macros from the Keto 70/25/5 since losing weight?  I am starting to think about how to transition into maintenance .  Thanks 

• Sparky1
    • Let your light shine!
    • Sparky1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Gina thank you!  if you how your body reacts to carbs you can manage it pretty closely. I would say most of my carbs come from vegetables. But I also will eat complex carbs like brown rice and quinoa, sweet potato and even potato. I’ve learned to eat carbs separate from fats to force my body to burn what I eat without storing it. Always have a teaspoon of fat and lean protein with the carbs. My range was 22-45g of carbs for the meal, but keep it on the low end until your body transitions. Also, fill up on protein because I find I get hungry sooner on carbs. 

I’d say I am more like 60/30/10 - maybe even 20. But you will know right away from how your body reacts and then you can adjust what you’re eating. Also, I don’t eat carbs outside of vegetables everyday, maybe a couple of times a week and if something appeals to me. Anyhow, I have been a little too slack and would like to drop my last bit of weight. I have lost 75 in total, gained back about 7. And would love to lose about 20-30 more pounds depending on how I look. I don’t want to look too thin. 😊

Like 3
    • Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sparky1 Thank you for sharing your experience.  Just thinking about making a change is intimidating at this point.  Your tips are most appreciated.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 158Views
  • 6 Following