Deep ketosis? Help

I’ve been doing keto for a month and I can’t get into a deep ketosis even when I do a fat fast for a week.  I’m well under 20 net carbs so idk what what I’m doing wrong.  Most of the time my ketone reader starts me off at 0.4 -0.6 in the mornings and I’m lucky if I can get it to 1.2.  I exercise and eat right.  Help ! What am I doing wrong?!!!

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Pat F
    • Pat_F
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome to keto!  And, you’re not doing anything wrong.  We’re all a little different, and you can expect lower ketones in the morning (since we’re not burning  as much ‘fat fuel’  while sleeping.  I don’t know what your macros are, but it might be (a pure guess) that you could increase your fat intake for supper.  In any case, anything over .5 is generally accepted as ketosis.  Some may have higher/lower numbers than others, but as long as you’re .5 or more, you’re good to go.  I hope this helps, and keto on!

Like 2
    • Carole
    • Carole.14
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This really helps to ease my mind. My weight loss has slowed considerably and was worried about carb creep but in checking my ketone levels with keto stix I've found that my levels fluctuate alot during the day. I stay below 20 g carbs and do my best to meet my fat goals and I find that my highest rate of ketones are registered at around 7 pm. Nice to know this isn't a unique issue.

Like 1
    • Barela619
    • Barela619
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hope it's not rude to piggyback off this. I'm new and this raised a question for me. Am I supposee to meet my fat goal? Not be below? I thought I was winning when I had less than 20 carbs and less fat than the goal says?

• Pat F
    • Pat_F
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Think of fat as a notional target, but not a hard goal.  When you first start, you might have (?) excess fat stores.  Limiting carb intake forces your body to burn fat; limiting fat intake when you start increases the need to burn stored fat (the amount of energy required each day is a relative constant so less dietary fat consumed means more stored fat it burned to keep the level constant).  Realize that as you burn off your fat stores you’ll have to pay a little more attention to getting close to your fat number if that helps keep your energy levels up.

that said, think of fat as something to help you feel full when you leave the table.  NO need to ever ‘hit the number’.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

• Barela619
    • Barela619
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That makes sense. Thank you!

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 202Views
  • 7 Following