Confused About Urine Ketone Testing

I have been living keto for about 2 months. I am confused as to the urine testing strips. The research I've done online just leaves me more confused. My tests most often come out with a 'trace' ketone result however some of the information I've read states that a higher level  indicates deeper  ketosis. Most information I've read states that a reading of 1.5 - 3.0 mmol/l is optimal which from what I can tell is around the 'trace' readings I'm getting. 

Thank you for your help :)

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I'm a relative beginner to Keto, so my answer might not be perfect, but I've been doing a lot of research. From what I've seen the urine testing strips measure ketones that your body was unable to use, an excess of ketones. If you measure ketones with a blood test, that's where you will likely see those numbers of 1-3. As long as you are getting trace amounts of ketones on your urine strips, you are likely doing okay. Your body is probably using most of the ketones for energy.

Again, I'm no doctor or anything like that. I've learned what I know mostly from YouTube (Dr. Berg, Dr. Boz, and Thomas DeLauer among others).

Like 2
  • Holly Winters 

Thank you! I just felt like all the info I was reading was contradicting each other. Some said higher ketones meant higher fat burning which didn't make sense to me because if you're burning ketones for energy I would believe a low reading would be better. I appreciate it!

Like 1
  • I'm having the same difficulty.  Im losing weight and inches, and following the macronutrients guidelines, but I've never shown more than a trace on the strips.  Frustrating !

• Thank you, I thought my age (62) and metabolism could be the problem.....

• Nancy
    • Nancy.79
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I actually have the reverse problem (sorry for my english, french Canadian from Quebec here) my urine strips show that i have been in ketosis (0,5 to 1,5) for the last five weeks but loose very little weight. What am i doing wrong? I am 52 and premenopausal. Could that be it or insuline resistance?

• Nancy I hope you're keeping it up, how are things now? 

It can take a while and you also have to watch that you don't take in an excess of fat as energy as your body will burn that rather than body fat, sometimes it takes a while to get that balance right. Intermittent fasting / time restricted eating may also help even if you just start at 16/8 and work your way to shorter eating windows.

• I'm having the same difficulty.  Im losing weight and inches, and following the macronutrients guidelines, but I've never shown more than a trace on the strips.  Frustrating !

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 235Views
  • 7 Following