What has Keto cleared up for you?

I've read many posts where people have stopped taking medications after being on a Ketogenic Diet.  Before Keto, I had a real problem with reflux and had to take prilosec every day for it and still had reflux on many days.  After a few weeks of Keto, I quit prilosec and have even eaten foods that would have ruined my day before, while on it!   Coffee was a real problem with reflux. 

I've heard many more serious issues cleared up while on Ketogenic diets so I'm curious, what has Keto cleared up for you and what have you stopped taking because of it?

26replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • smythki
    • smythki
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don’t take Prilosec anymore!! 

Like 2
    • Tegan
    • Tegan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Exactly the same for us!  I used to take nexium (similar to prilosec) daily, but have only needed it after a weekend away involving alcohol.  Hubby used to get reflux daily and guzzled antacid liquids like gaviscon.  He hasn't needed it at all since starting keto!

• Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Tegan Alcohol hits harder and faster on Keto and actually stops ketosis, because the liver will process alcohol first, carbs second and then fats, in that order as I understand it.  We have strict limits on alcohol these days and fortunately haven't needed anything for reflux.

I'm glad it's working out for you and smythki .  I'm actually a little surprised, because prilosec and nexium were not the medications I expected at the top of the list.  In other posts, I've read other medications were stopped.  Blood pressure and diabetic meds, iirc.

• Tegan
    • Tegan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yes, I'm well aware that alcohol consumption will slow down ketosis! In 3mths of keto, it was a 1 off weekend away for a very special occasion where we had a few wines 1 night! 

Fortunately,  we don't take any other meds (anti-hypertensives, statins, cardiac etc). I did have a cholesterol check prior to starting keto, so might have some concrete evidence of improvements when I get it re-checked.

• Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Tegan Didn't mean for that to sound like I was harping on alcohol consumption.  Sorry if it came across that way.  We enjoy martinis on the weekends and had a rude awakening when first on this diet. 

I'm a little worried about my cholesterol.  I love shrimp and they are an easy button for protein, but rather high on cholesterol.  Prescription free here as well.  :thumbs up:

• Tegan
    • Tegan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No worries Karbndall.  If I do see a cholesterol change, I'll be sure to update.  Hopefully you get some replies from those that have stopped meds other than anti acids too.

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

smythki did you have any issues when you stopped? I’m a bit concerned about the amount of fat in my diet now that it might trigger it. 

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Before keto I was insulin resistant, my A1c wasn’t bad, stayed below 6 (only got to 6 once and that was years ago), but boy did I have symptoms! Cold, tired and hungry all of the time. Craved carbs like crazy and would be hungry again not long after eating a meal. You might think that my diet prior to keto was filled with lots of sugary processed foods. Nope. I always ate clean, lots of fruit, veggies and lean meats. I’m a farmers market junky, plus we grow a lot of our own veggies plus belong to a CSA. My body just can’t handle a lot of carbs, even if they’re the good ones. My last A1c was 5, and no more cold, tired and hungry. Woohoo!!

Like 2
  • I've stopped taking my anti depressant and anxiety meds (disclaimer: had a week or two of withdrawals when I came off them). I haven't felt this mentally clear in years, really happy I started Keto. 

Like 1
    • Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Christoph2390 That's interesting. People seem to think of a Ketogenic diets for some magic bullet weight loss and others for general physical health, which would include weight, but a quick internet search finds many articles on its affect on mental health and well-being. There are articles on it being used to target specific issues.  In fact, “The ketogenic diet was initially used as a treatment for children with epilepsy back in the 1920s.” is from the “Benefits of Keto Beyond Weight Loss” article in the Learn About Keto section of this app. I've read articles on how the brain functions better on ketones than glucose, so it certainly fits with that in mind. (<-pun intended)  Was Keto discussed with your doctor? Mainly interested in if they were on board with Keto and stopping the medication?

Just found another article that states: "The most rigorous studies on the ketogenic diet come from the pediatric epilepsy literature. Almost every treatment used for epilepsy is also used in psychiatry to treat  a broad range of conditions. These include depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder. "

• Bgump502
    • Bgump502
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So I too have felt the good effects of the keto diet on my mental health.  I would attribute it to the leveling out of blood sugar and no highs/lows.   I haven’t been able to get off medicine (doubt I ever will) but after trial med after trial med, we have found something coupled with the diet that provides some mood stability. 

Like 1
    • Trclar
    • Trclar
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Christoph2390  Hi.. just curious how long you been keto and when did you feel you could get off your anti's and anxiety meds? I'm hoping that happens  to me as well.  Sending you good wishes on your journey.

• KRISTY
    • KRISTY.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

A year ago I was a borderline diabetic, and had high triglyceride numbers.  My numbers  have all been in the "good" range for the last six months. That was two different times for blood work. 

Like 1
    • Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

KRISTY That’s great!  Mom lost all 3 sisters to diabetes, so it definitely on the radar here. 

• Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So for the people that have been helped with reflux/GERD, my curiosity is up. My favorite question comes to mind. Why? Why does lowering carbs in our diet help this? Articles I've read are conflicting on the specifics, but the results are the same. Low carbs, less reflux/GERD. If anything, Keto foods should make it worse, not make it go away. Anyone have any solid evidence on why restricting carbs and increasing fats does this?

• SRuroden
    • SRuroden
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I wasn’t on any medication but was being monitored for my blood pressure and cholesterol. After 1 month of keto I lowered my cholesterol from 222 to 180!  I also lowered my blood pressure enough that my doctor gave me a 6 month release and did not start me on meds! This was a huge non scale victory for me and well worth it! 

Like 1
    • Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

SRuroden That cholesterol is good news!  I need to have mine checked as it's been a while.  My BP is much more regularly in the normal range without meds too.

• Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    AJQ said:
    I’m a bit concerned about the amount of fat in my diet now that it might trigger it. 

This is a common concern I ran across when trying to learn why Keto stops acid reflux/GERD.  It's counter intuitive given the belief fatty foods contribute to reflux, however, Keto keeps proving much of the old advice incorrect.  I'm starting to think the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which is a muscle, benefits much like the heart does on ketones.  This makes more sense to me than some of the other theories I've read about. 

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karbndall there’s evidence that GERD can be caused by undigested carbs. Combine not eating carbs with weight loss and many people can stop or reduce their meds. I just came off omeprazole a little over 2 weeks ago after 6 months on keto and over 35 lbs lost. Coming off hasn’t been a piece of cake, pun intended, but it’s getting better. Certain food can cause indigestion like bacon, garlic and onions and I supplement with Pepsid or the like when I know I’ll have something questionable. I’m still losing weight and I still do things to remedy reflux like keeping the head of my bed raised, etc. I’m noticing that everyday is better than the one before. You just have to be smart about it. If I made a sausage crust pizza I’d be in trouble. 

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karbndall I am finding that too much fat at one sitting can still trigger reflux. Like I mentioned, you have to be smart about it and if bacon bothers me I’ll have avocado instead. But it’s great to not have to take the meds anymore. Maybe in a few more weeks I can eat a little bacon without much of a problem too. 

• Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

AJQ Hopefully, it will continue to improve.  I no longer sleep with my head elevated and even ate some spicy chicken nuggets that in the past had set off a two day episode of reflux and burned esophagus.  I did read that carbs like grains can start to ferment in the stomach because of too little acid not processing it fast enough, thus causing gas pressure on the LES.  idk, my experience doesn't give that reasoning much consideration, because relieving any gas pressure did nothing for improving the LES ability to keep it down.  That was just me though.  Again, hopefully yours will continue to improve.

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karbndall thanks, I’m hopeful. The last time I tried to stop the meds it was awful and I didn’t last more than a few days. I agree with you re the carbs. I think in my case it has more to do with weight and weight loss. I still have to not wear anything too tight around my midriff, so pressure from extra weight is probably what’s the issue in my case. In a positive note, I went away over the weekend and didn’t have the head of the bed raised and I was fine. I’ll continue to keep it raised at home for now though. Thanks for your input. 

• Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

AJQ I tried stopping the omeprezole several months before going Keto and it was a disaster.  Lasted just a few days before reflux started and took several days to get it back under control.  Now, with the weight loss and walking, I can wear my old weight lifting belt for back support, which would have been way too tight to last 5 minutes before.  FWIW, I did see some web pages on LES exercises, but I didn't read any of them.  Now that I think about it, I was using one of those electronic muscle stimulators around my stomach on my walks.  It's possible the current zapped my LES into shape.  Wouldn't that be something...

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karbndall I have a muscle stimulator too, but mostly use it for my back. How do you use it on your stomach? Do you mean high up, or down around your abdomen, below your belly button? That's an interesting idea, I'll have to try it. I do strength training, elliptical, brisk walk and swim/water aerobics, it all helps. I do find that even drinking a lot of water throughout the day can also be a trigger at times, I definitely need to keep my stomach volume down. 

• Karbndall
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

AJQ I think it is actually made for the stomach muscles, but I don't think it matters as it could be used on the back.  It has three pads and they basically go above the belt line/hip bones.  The large center pad goes right at the navel and the other two just above each hip bone.  They're fixed position on the belt and that's just where they hit.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 26Replies
  • 350Views
  • 9 Following