Confused on Day 1

Hi there, I've loaded up my stats to follow the 5/25/70 keto diet and it's saying my fats shouldn't go over 101g. 

I've just had breakfast- 2 tbsp olive oil, half avocado, 2 fried eggs and 4 rashers of bacon. The stats are now saying I've reached 75 % of my allowance for fats. I'm confused because I thought I'd be adding cream, butter and oil to everything.

Should I just concentrate on keeping within the carb allowance and not worry about the fats?

If it helps I weigh 80kg and the settings are suggesting I have 1300 cals to lose weight.

Thanks x

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It is key to have low carbs and enough fat to burn for energy, but I wouldn't just dismiss the recommended amount for fats. 

See my posts here about meal planning for tomorrow to see how to get your numbers right, and further down the page a sample of one of my day's menus--just leave off the cookie dough fat bombs and you'd be close to your mark for fats, or skip the walnuts (don't know how the other numbers compare for you):

https://forums.carbmanager.com/t/3671w2

You'd need to cut back on the fat in my example, but you really don't need to put oil and butter on everything to reach the fat goal.  If you go over, going over on fats is preferable.

Like 1
    • Eleanor
    • Eleanor.2
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank very much goplay, I appreciate the advice.  I'm going to read through your post, and the rest of these forums. I'd like to get this correct from the start and felt lost right from meal 1. 

• CHDevil
    • Advocating against keto-myths.
    • CHDevil
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    Eleanor said:
    I'm confused because I thought I'd be adding cream, butter and oil to everything.

I'm confused as well. I have trouble reaching my fat goals and am not alone.

Most important thing here is: if you're not hungry - you're not starving and that's important. It won't really matter what you put today in your stomach. Calories are a lie and so are 24hour cages. Barely any of the fat you eat today was turned into ketones. If any at all. I really don't know, but wouldn't you need to be in ketosis for that ? MCT oils might take some shortcuts, but as far as I know:

You're fueled by your glycogen reserves today.

and most of the fat will just come out the other end or get stored as fat, since you're still in an anabolic state. As far as I know, they only have one role one day 1: fill your stomach and get you accustomed to the diet.  They have no voting rights when it comes to fat loss since you're not burning any... if one would, wouldn't we bee in ketosis on day 1 ?

Depleting your glycogen reserves will take a while as well. Does it matter if you get there in 7 days instead of 6 ? If so, watch your carbs religiously.

Nothing you eat today really maters. Go low carb and take it easy or try fasting and get into ketosis in 2 days. You'll get there eventually either way.

Watching the numbers only makes sense once you're there, so you can stay in ketosis.

- If I'm wrong with any of the above please correct me. If I'm right, I'd appreciate some confirmation.

Like 1
    • Eleanor
    • Eleanor.2
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you for replying CHDevil. This is such a different way of looking at food and is very confusing. I'll enter all my figures for today and see what the end result looks like and then do the same for tomorrow and see how it compares.

• CHDevil
    • Advocating against keto-myths.
    • CHDevil
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Carbs and fiber hold water. You're getting less of that so... it almost ought to show up on your scale. If it does and you've only actually lost water, does it matter ? no.

The other way around: You Can Lose Fat, But Not Weight? Yes.

Scales are tricky. But do track.

Eleanor said:
    is is such a different way of looking at food and is very confusing.

Just go as low on carbs as you can without breaking a sweat. At this stage nothing really matters. You're coming from around 350g of carbs and are probably targeting 20. Do you think there's any impact this does have, that it doesn't if you only reach 50 ?

Like 1
    • Eleanor
    • Eleanor.2
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you. I'll focus on the carbs and keep an eye on the other numbers

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 81Views
  • 3 Following