New to keto!!

Hey! I am day 4 into keto and I have really bad leg cramps. Is this normal? Any ideas on prevention other than drinking lots of water?

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Val
    • Val.23
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, lots of water with salt in it. Or Take a magnesium supplement. OrTake a teaspoon of milk of magnesium every night before bedtime.

It takes a while for supplements to get into your system.  It works for me, I had excruciating thigh cramps at night.

Like 1
  • I drank Mio Sport water additive in water every morning for electrolyte balance.  I also doubled up on potassium and magnesium

• Dehydration and electrolytre imbalances can cause muscle cramping (I get them so bad I scream for my mom!) When you lose electrolytes, electrical signals sent between the body's cells get messed up, and this imbalance causes spasms and contractions.  When we are on keto, we need to ensure we get enough electrolytes from the food w eat to avoid imbslance.

These include calcium, magnesium potassium, and sodium. My doctor gave me potassium pills, and I upped my sodium intake. I also take Cal-Mag twice a day. But see your doc for advice before doing these. Some people have heart and other issues and may need monitoring.

• yes

• Gatorade zero helps me 

• Sher G
    • KetoDream
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have had a lifetime of muscle cramps.  I am now taking 1800 mg Calcium Citrate with Vit D3, 200 mg Magnesium, 500 mg of Potassium Citrate every night, and keep it down to an occasional cramp.  When I remember, I also put a pink salt  crystal (Hymalayan) into what ever I am drinking at the time, and make sure to have more water.  I have high blood pressure so I am careful on the sodium.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 48Views
  • 7 Following