No ketosis - getting frustrated

I'm a 70 year old male, 6’, 227 pounds, generally good health - blood pressure under control with medication, and very mild ulcerative colitis, also under control with medication.  I have been trying to get going with the keto diet for about 20 days now, but can't seem to get into the right keytone range as indicated with the ketosis urine test strips.  I ran out of patience with the carb counting apps (measuring, calculating portions, etc.), but it did make me more aware of carbs in everything and I am at the doing where I check EVERYTHING for carbs before it goes in my mouth, and I can't see how there's any way I'm over 25-30 grams of carbs a day.  I can understand maybe not losing weight - I need to reduce portion sizes - but I can't understand why my keytone numbers aren't better.  Some folks I've talked with say to forget about the test strips, but if I'm not sure if I'm in ketosis, I'm not gonna burn fat and lose weight, right?  I guess I'll have to go back to the carb counting app and watch the carbs closer - maybe use one of the pre-planned meal plans so I don't have to worry about measuring and counting.  Any suggestions?

9replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Ketosis doesn’t cause weight loss.  It’s a metabolic change from sugar to fat for energy.  It does decrease appetite which makes it easier to eat less calories without being constantly hungry. If you’re showing any ketones on the strips you are in ketosis. The strips measure only waste ketones so as you get fat adapted they will show less wasted ketones as you will be burning them more efficiently.  Just keep carbs low, don’t cheat and it takes 4-6 weeks to get adapted.  You lose water weight first . You may also  see differences in your body before it shows on the scale. Keep going.

Like 1
    • Dorka
    • Dorka
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

When its frustrating all these tracking in - maybe do it once and repeat the same meals every day for a couple of days? (You just 'copy' the same meal to the next day).  For keto - maybe little less carbs? (Ca 20g?)

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Forget the ketone testing. If you’re restricting net carbs and are eating a calorie deficit and the scale is moving in the right direction, then you’re doing things right. More important than ketone testing is tracking your food in this app and weighing and measuring your food to make sure that you’re not consuming any hidden carbs or calories. Ketones help with hunger, carb cravings and keep insulin levels from spiking. Ketones don’t make you lose weight, a calorie deficit does. Good luck. 

Like 4
  • Urine strips are crap. The readings vary depending on how full your bladder is. You can FEEL the ketosis; the dry mouth, etc.

Like 1
  • 0b925123-5b60-ff15-613a-cf0f60aefe5c Oh I think the "adaptation" part is longer, whatever that is. I'm on week 7 and I still have keto insomnia and bits of keto flu. I'm popping elecrolyte pills like candy and to help remedy the insomnia part I'm combining supplementation of calcium and mag with eating more carbs. My body is not taking well to such a low carb load and it doesn't seem to be adjusting. I've had insomnia over a month and my mind is not happy.

• Biff Tannen 

Agreed it does take longer for some people, there are always outliers in every situation.  Many people with health issues and/or metabolic issues may take 3 or more months.  Without either,  I personally was adapted in a month.  Good luck, hope it happens soon for you:)

• 248855e4-34e0-f0c7-39ad-37117f3381ca Well being that I'm 49 years old and spent a lifetime of eating high glycemic index trash/simple carbs/vegetable oils, it could be a longer road for me to fully adapt. HOWEVER, I cannot operate on nightly insomnia 6 weeks running so yesterday I had a carb binge of kidney beans and hash browns. Consequently, last night I crashed and slept 12 hours. I haven't had that much sleep since before Keto. I need to ease into keto-range  carb intake I think and will bump up my carbs to about 40 daily.

I'm completing week 7 of keto this weekend and I've dropped 33 lbs in that period of time. Only 100 more to go! Eek!

Like 1
  • Biff Tannen 

For your sleep have you tried magnesium glycinate and/or melatonin?  Magnesium relaxes the body and melatonin regulates the sleep/wake cycle.  Good luck.

• 248855e4-34e0-f0c7-39ad-37117f3381ca Yeah but I don't want to overdo the melatonin, either. I actually have keto supplements at my bedside. I take them daily. I don't think it's a good idea to pop melatonin pills longterm, plus I'd probably build a resistance to them.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 9Replies
  • 142Views
  • 8 Following