Hi. I am a 67 year old female on KETO.

My name is Lee and I am 67 year old female. I have been doing Keto since August of 2018. So far I have lost 45 pounds and I am looking and feeling better. I still have around 65 pounds to go. My biggest concern with my KETO diet is I have 'Metabolic Syndrome' with the complication of adrenal issues. ( It took years to finally find a doctor who recognized the symptoms and during those years the weight kept coming.) With this problem I want to avoid the carbs but also limit the protein in my diet. For me the protein turns to glucose if I have too much.  The 20% that is normally allowed on my diet is too many. My problem has been finding foods and the balance of these foods to get all of my macros filled. So I would appreciate recommendations and advise.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you all. Lee

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Alana
    • Alana.2
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for this story Lee. I'm around your age and will be starting my journey. This keeps me encouraged. 

Like 1
  • I have read that you can set up carb manager to your specific goals. 

Like 1
    • Linklynn
    • Linklynn
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Lee. I am 61 and started Keto last Sunday April 14, 2019 and have lost 8 pounds. I have tried every diet in the world and decided I needed to change my way of eating. My grocery bill for the week went from $75 (for just me) to $45. I am sure it will be less as I find out what I really want to eat - pick and choose from! I feel 50% better than I did last week and actually breathe without struggling for air. This is a real change for me - and your post is encouraging! Hopefully I can help later on, with advising on the macros! Looking forward to sharing! - Lynn

Like 3
    • Teriann11
    • Teriann11
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi lee, I’m 66 in a few days and I started Keto a week ago and I’m down 5 pounds. And hi to everyone else that replied.I enjoyed your story also.

Like 2
    • Lee
    • Lee.15
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello to all of you. I do use a macro counter but my issue is that I am oversensitive to proteins. Seems like darn near everything has protein in it. So, my problem is balancing my macros to fit my body. Fats, Lower proteins and under 20 g of carbs per day. Does anyone else have this issue? If so how do you deal with i?

Like 1
    • KC
    • seashell_station
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The protein levels on keto are pretty moderate, as long as you keep carbs nice and low and fat high. 

That's a tough question, because you don't need carbs, but you need protein and fat for your body to function.

Have you figured out what protein percentage works for you? Also, how did you determine that the protein was still converting to glucose at only 20%? 

PS: I hardly hit my grams in protein every day...

Like 1
    • NancyS
    • NancyS
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi all, I am 3 weeks into my keto journey,  to determine protein needs take your ideal weight and divide by 2.2  grams . I read this in Dr. Boz book, her info is really good.  

Like 1
    • Lee
    • Lee.15
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi all and first let me say thank you for all of your help and suggestions. 

I am soon to see a Endocrinologist to try to figure out the protein issue. They will be testing the adrenals and hormones and try to determine the triggers in my food to body reactions. 

Until we figure that out I have to limit not only my carbs but my proteins to.

I use Cronometer which determines my macros and my calories per day. I have tried other apps but feel more comfortable with this app.

I have been surprised that while on this journey I have discovered how many people suffer from 'Metobolic Syndrome'. It has taken me nine months to even find what kind of Dr I need and I'm still researching that to see who can help me best. So many people have this and so very few doctors specialize in it or are very familiar with the area. Even less know or understand the KETO diet and why and how it works. This is strange to me since it has been used as medical treatment for diabetes, epilepsy and high blood pressure as well as many other illnesses since the 1920's / 1950's. 

• Lee
    • Lee.15
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Metobolic syndrome often shows up most at menopause or becomes more noticeable then. The reason for the timing is the hormone imbalance that comes with menopause. 

A big tell for this syndrome is if you carry your weight from between  the upper chest to the pelvic bone, with the arms, legs and neck being smaller in relationship to the rest of the body.

Doctor's don't look for this no matter how much you tell them what your doing to loose weight. They just look at you like 'yeah, yeah, have another candy bar.'

So if you recognize some of the symptoms  check with a Endocrinologist. Have a full blood work up done. Use that work up to compare every six months to see if you need to adjust your keto in any way. 

I'm so glad you all are sharing this journey with me. Thanks!

• Micherie
    • Micherie
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Lee! I am with you on the  protein. I keep my protein macros at what it would be for someone who weighs 110, which is my goal weight, not for my current weight (130). I find that helps a lot because like you, when I have too many it kicks me right outa ketosis. Happened last night! I have trouble keeping my fats up. I found that macadamia nuts are a great way to round out the day if I am low in fats. I also need to make some fat bombs and finally got the tools to do so successfully. I am 10 years into peri-menopause/menopause and also have adrenal issues. I didn't  know they were related, so thanks for mentioning that. Good luck to you!

Like 1
Like3 Follow
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 118Views
  • 10 Following