New Senior

I joined yesterday, looking forward to learning a healthy way of eating and making healthy choices. Desperately need to lose weight, I am a senior taking this on. 

21replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • dsbuck22
    • Senior & Retired
    • dsbuck22
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome to the Keto lifestyle.  I’m a senior who started out on Paleo (for 7 months) and transitioned to Keto last July.  Over the 16 month since I changed my lifestyle  I’ve lost pounds equal to my age (67).  I feel great and I’m slowly getting off most of the medication I’ve been on for several years.  My target weight is a 100 pound loss (232 pound goal).  I currently weigh 30 pounds less than I did as a high school senior 50 years ago!   

The most difficult part for me was  mentally forcing myself to clean out my kitchen of all sugar, grain and processed foods.  Once I made the donation trip to the food bank I was ready to stock up on low carb items.  I log all food consumed into Carb Manager and monitor my matrix 72/20/8  (fat/protein/carbs) several times a day to see if I am on target.  It is very challenging to get the high percentage of daily fat calories but it can be done.   I had to cut back on meat (beef/chicken/fish) as it loading me up on protein and throwing me off target.   

It takes a few weeks to get attuned to the low-carb meal planning but it is very worthwhile.  I find as a retired senior I have more time to dedicate to meal preparation than I would have had if I was still working.   You will soon learn what foods boost your fats (for example bacon, avocado, butter, sour cream and cheese).  I now bake Keto cinnamon rolls weekly (almond flour) and have recently started making Keto ice cream (heavy cream, half & half, vanilla extract and Swerve sweetener as the basic ice cream - add limited fruit, cocoa or nuts to achieve your favorite flavor).  There are plenty of Keto recipes  (for all types of food) on-line.

I don’t feel that I’m food deprived with this lifestyle change, there are plenty of Keto foods to replace the empty carbs you’ll be giving up.  How about a tossed salad (homemade or salad bar) that has blue cheese crumbles and a couple of tablespoons of blue cheese dressing!  The blue cheese dressing is a “fat bomb” adding plenty of necessary fat calories and very few carbs. 

I should mention that I have a dietitian at the local hospital who is my coach.  I meet with her quarterly or when my weight loss plateaus and she reviews my food log and gets me corrected and back losing.  She is Keto (and slender) and has been great to work with.  It may be challenging to find a Keto coach within the health care field but you should find one with a few phone calls.  

Good luck, if you are dedicated and tired of carrying surplus weight you should benefit from the Keto lifestyle. 

Like 4
    • Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome Janine.  The CM app is a great tool to log food and focus on balancing Macros to your goals. Good Luck.

• Welcome

• Vickie
    • Vickie.7
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I’m also a senior. Welcome 

Like 2
  • Congratulations for changing your lifestyle. I am 64 and in week 6 :)

Like 1
  • Don B Congratulations for getting healthy :).  

Like 1
  • I have never lost weight before without feeling hungry.  I was always looking forward to the diet being over.  I think I can actually do this as a way of life!

Like 4
  • Susan My sister said something about my diet.  I said it is not a diet it is a life style change 😄

Like 2
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad That's true.  However the word "diet" doesn't really mean weight loss, although contemporary use has become that. Whatever you eat, that's your diet. I used to eat a diet of pizza and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. Now I eat a diet of low-carb high-fat food, which sometimes includes cauliflower crust pizza and white chocolate macadamia nut fat bombs, LOL.

Like 1
  •  I am also a senior and proud of it. I started my journey on March 4 and I’m down 27 pounds. I love this app and keto is the best find ever!! I am hoping by the End of the year to be off any pills that I am on. Love love love love love keto

Like 4
  • Moondrake You are correct , in the hospital the word diet gets all tangled up because of our modern day use 

.  My diet consisted of  huge bowl of cherrois ,  cake, candy, and for good measure this year I ate 1/2 cup of vegetables LOL.  Now I eat chicken , pork chops, walnuts , ranch dressing and fat bombs :) 

Like 2
  • mona425252 Congratulations and best of luck meeting your goals :)

Like 1
    • Vickie
    • Vickie.7
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am also a senior (69) and have been on this diet since April 1. I’ve lost 13 pounds and have ten more to lose. Welcome 

Like 2
    • Mony
    • Mony.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Janine! I just joined today and am also a senior 71. I was on Atkins since the end of January and have lost 33 lbs. I decided to try keto and see how it goes.  I would like to lose another 25 lbs. 

Like 1
    • Nana
    • Nana.14
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

dsbuck22 

• Nana
    • Nana.14
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

dsbuck22  thank you for your post! From a fellow senior( 62 and retired) it is encouraging to see this is not just for the younger generation. I am just beginning my journey to feeling better for myself and family and you have encouraged me with excellent suggestions! Bravo!

Like 1
  • Vickie Your journey is almost exactly like mine!  I am 72.  I started April first and am down 16 lbs.  I have 10 more to go.  I am not discouraged because everyday I am losing, if only a fraction of a pound.  I have tried other things, but, am always feeling deprived, but, the fat bombs get me through the day.

Like 1
  • Nana If you are a person who likes sweets, the fat bombs get me through times when I feel like I need something sweet.  There are lots of recipes for them online.  They are not complicated to make like some of the recipes are.  I like the peanut butter, but, there is lemon and a big variety of them.  As far as the other foods, I love eggs, but, any meats and leafy veggies are great and very low or no carb alternatives, too.  Good luck!

• skittlescda
    • TrishLaw
    • skittlescda
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi I’m Trish, new today and although it’s the first time I’ve referred to myself as a senior, I guess I am lol 61,5 years young and about 50lbs overweight (sad to say) I lost 45 pounds in 2016 for my daughters wedding but have put it all back on.  This CM is tricky to catch on to & I've synced to my FitBit Versa. I could use some friendly support that I’d welcome to return & get to know you! Tks 

• Gina
    • Gina.9
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

skittlescda Welcome Trish 🍍.  Keep exploring the app and post any questions you have.  Good Luck.

• Hello I am a senior too.  On low carb with intermittent fasting.   Love it.

Like7 Follow
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 21Replies
  • 119Views
  • 12 Following