How to get enough potassium?

My biggest problem is leg cramps. It'll happen about once or twice a week, and it's not debilitating but unpleasant. I've pinpointed the issue to not enough potassium. How do you get enough without going over your carb limit? I don't want to drink any "ketoades" or what have you (as I am keeping things simple) and would rather eat the foods I need.

What I currently eat for potassium is spinach, avocado, kale, fish, and some nuts. Does anyone have suggestions on what to eat while keeping my carbs at 17 and under? CM suggests 17 for me.

23replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • You need magnesium for leg cramps.  If you search Wellness Mama she has a recipe for magnesium oil that works great. I add a couple of drops of peppermint oil. It is also good for muscle aches. 

Like 2
  • The no sodium salt is made of potassium. 1/4 tsp is like 600 mg of potassium. Try using that. My experience with potassium is I have gotten low twice now on strict Keto.  Landed me in the ER the first time.  Now I know the symptoms and knew what to do. It is very unpleasant and no amount of magnesium helped me. Electrolytes are a delicate balance. I have resorted to drinking coconut water too. It replenishes the potassium very quickly but it does have sugars/carbs. But its better than an ER trip. Its a tricky balance for me that I still have not figured out.  My husband has absolutely no problem and we eat pretty identical diets...so end story is everyone’s chemistry is different and we need to experiment. I hope this helps. 

Like 3
  • mfctrejo25e1b2 What were your symptoms for low sodium?  You are right that our bodies are very different. I make my own magnesium oil with peppermint to relieve aches , pains and cramps.  

Like 2
    • Rupstarrr
    • Rupstarrr
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Magnesium helps cramps. Don’t want too much potassium. Anyone with underlying kidney issues should definitely watch potassium intake.

Like 2
  • debra06201374ad 

My symptoms of low potassium was scary.  I felt weak, dizzy, and my blood pressure shot up super high...like 200.  I had alternate shakiness.  The blood tests revealed a low potassium level.  They gave me an infusion of potassium and my symptoms went away.  Looking back I believe it was a slow deterioration of potassium loss due to low carb and fasting.  I had to recharge my potassium storages with different vegetables/foods and using the no salt salt.  I haven’t had any problems in a long while until...I decided to try super low carb diet.  I started getting the symptoms back. I have to keep to about 50 carbs to keep feeling good and still stay in a state of ketosis. It’s just the state my body wants at this time in order to feel good and stay healthy. Other than that I have super good energy and feel good. 

Like 1
  • Rupstarrr its interesting that magnesium daily needs are in the 350 mg range, while potassium is in the 4500 mg range.  It’s so hard for me to hit the potassium mark daily. Maybe that’s why I became low in it.  It’s a struggle for me. 

• Rupstarrr
    • Rupstarrr
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

mfctrejo25e1b2 low potassium is not good. Hypokalemia (low k+) can cause havoc on the cardiovascular system. Palpitations and hyperkalemia (too high.. this happens when kidneys are compromised) causes arrhythmias or heart rate that is unstable and the heart pumps literally as if it’s jelly with abnormal beats.  If a blood test detects low potassium, ask a nutritionist what food can increase but these usually are nuts, kiwi, bananas and non keto foods. I suggest taking exogenous ketones that contain electrolytes that are keto feared but pls check with your doctor first. Wish you the best health 🤗

Like 1
  • mfctrejo25e1b2 I bought some off brand sodium pills but find I need a lot of salt.  When I go shopping I will get the no salt product. My energy is not high but I blame the heat and humidity.  My carbs are up because of eating peanut butter which is a sign of not getting the right fats.  I don't eat red meat because I am a lousy cook but  I am going to change that up this weekend.   I believe red meat has better electrolyte properties than chicken.   Thanks for the heads up and I am sure you are like me and not going back to bad carbs :).  I have another 20 lbs to lose . 😍

• debra06201374ad 

Like 1
  • mfctrejo25e1b2 

This is a good Keto choice for beef.  Found it at sams club. Members mark brand. Angus beef patties cheddar and bacon. Comes frozen and uncooked. It’s a good quick meal with a salad. We like it. I pan fry it.  

Like 2
  • debra06201374ad thank you very much

• mfctrejo25e1b2 thank you very much 

• debra06201374ad thank you very much 

Like 1
  • mfctrejo25e1b2 I bought beef short ribs today, to expensive and put my fat way over.   Thanks for the burger idea. 

• mfctrejo25e1b2 Thanks I was not sure which one thanks for sharing.

• RavenTru
    • RavenTru
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have had the dizzy, high BP didn’t realize that was potassium.  I have had awful! Leg cramps that prevented sleeping.  For me I have to supplement both magnesium (oil or Epsom salt baths) and potassium  ( I have a sodium and potassium chloride “vitamin” from seeking health called “neutralize”) or the one or the other gets kicked out of balance.  I understand the keeping it simple.  I do, but some of us are special snow flakes.  I have to stay below 25 g of carbs to see movement on the scale.  It’s frustrating.  So maybe some occasional Epsom salt baths and some No salt will do the trick for you.  If not then you can get potassium citrate and magnesium citrate delivered to your door inexpensively from Amazon and drop a punch if both in your food and voila. (Also that combo will kick constipation QUICKLY so be sparing)

Like 1
    • RavenTru
    • RavenTru
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

debra06201374ad Give us the recipe luv, k - would lavender work?

• RavenTru If you are looking for the magnesium recipe search wellness mama. 

• Lainie
    • Lainie
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dr. Berg's Healthy Ketosis plan deals with this issue.  Electrolyte imbalances are common and the easiest way to deal with it is, actually, to drink a quality electrolyte powder in water.  He also stresses the importance of lemon juice to prevent kidney stones.  If you can't beat the leg cramps with what you're eating, I suggest you watch some of his videos online.

• I read somewhere. But potassium citrate might help

• Try clams. They are great source of potassium.

https://askthenutritionist.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Clams.jpg

• I also get leg cramps often. I take a vitamin supplement and also Body Armor Lyte electrolyte drink daily. It helps a lot it seems.

• Baz Jacobs
    • Baz_Jacobs
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view

To load up on potassium without adding too many carbs, focus more on lower-starch veggies like tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, broccoli, bok choy and brussels sprouts. Explore some potassium-rich fruits like cantaloupe, apricot, oranges and bananas too. Potassium-rich proteins like grass-fed beef or wild-caught salmon are key, but so is adding some herbs/spices like turmeric, basil, nutmeg - all of these will help boost your daily values.

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 9 mths agoLast active
  • 23Replies
  • 546Views
  • 11 Following