Hi there just started but fasting + low carb

Trying to find the best combination, only eating dinner and snacking after 23hrs fasting so finding it very easy to go over carb limit (under 50g to stay in ketosis) not eating many calories at all thou, any advice? Currently 71kg trying to get to 60kg. Sedentary thou so not burning many either.

9replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

BMOB fasting is to come when your comfortable with the diet and feel good I think. Snacking really isn’t suggested with fasting, have a proper meal and let your blood glucose slide back down again. Not sure if your ketogenic or low carb however, you didn’t post that part that I can see. 

Like 2
    • BMOB
    • BMOB.1
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Badmojomn I only snack in my window of eating not when fasting. I'm trying to stay in ketosis with carbs no more than 39g as apprently under 50g maintains ketosis? I'm just finding it hard to reach my calorie goal without going over my carb goal, I guess I need to access more protein, fat rich foods only when I do eat and lots of to meet calories?

• Yes eating some more protein and fats definitely helps. Stick with low carb recipes. I eat one meal a day and I make it an awesome huge meal! Probably easier to get hang of diet and how many carbs are in everything first. Your body gets used to it and I rarely get hungry during the day anymore  when I do I have a snack. I'm not super strict anymore. Going on 6 months like this. I love looking forward to the big delicious meal I will eat for dinner! Cooking gets a little tiresome sometimes though after a long day. Not gonna lie. 

Like 1
  • By the way I do keto, which probably also with hunger 

Like 1
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

BMOB there are hidden net carbs in products also that claim they are low carb. Your best bet maybe is to move to total carb, I think I have more success. I really don’t do a lot of veg, but I love nuts so I feel like I have to eat some per day. I try to totally avoid All Atkins products now and “low carb wraps”. Have you tested blood to see if 50 keeps you in ketosis? most followers do 20 net or so or under. I’m shooting for now 30 total. A blood meter wouldn’t be a bad idea but urine strips would be okay but it truly accurate. Focus on more meat, fats. You could also post an average day with your higher carb count here to have followers suggest things to tweak.  

Like 2
    • BMOB
    • BMOB.1
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Badmojomn thankyou for such an informative response I appreciate it 😊 I think I'm getting the hang of it now, it's a lot stricter than I realised but I'll manage. I have urine sticks haven't detected any ketones yet. I read somewhere under 50g promotes it but upon further research yeah under 30g seems more effective so currently trying 15g. 😊😊

• BMOB
    • BMOB.1
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

rachelalexis237560 yeah I find I can't enjoy the big meal yet as it easily goes over my goals so maybe I can do this once I get my weight down to what I'm aiming for. I ate a cup of cheese today to hit my fat goal that was fun 😂😂

• BMOB 

I know a lot of people are concerned with hitting their fat goal. I would say if you are feeling full and satisfied to not worry about hitting it. Just keep carbs low and protein moderate. Knowing what I can and can't have and how much I can have has become second nature to me, and i no longer even have to keep track anymore. Experimenting and coming up with your favorite go to meals also makes things easier. I love Mexican cauliflower rice and stuffed poblanos its my favorite meal! Big Cobb salads are also delicious and easy to throw together as well as omelets 

• Another great way to increase the fats is to add (or blend) MCT oil to coffee/tea/drinks. Its odorless and tasteless.  Look up "fat bombs" on youtube...they can be a great low carb snack throughout the day.  Your macros should be about 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs....is that about right  Badmojomn ?

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 9Replies
  • 106Views
  • 4 Following