Two months in - love the app but frustrated with no weight loss.

I have been tracking all macros closely for two months and only lost a pound. I feel better and know it is the right way to eat but frustrated by not seeing the scale move. It didn’t make scientific sense since reducing calories alone should show results. After six weeks, I had labwork done that shows high fasting glucose and a1C markers, which explains why I couldn’t get into ketosis. Although the doctor put me on a low dose of metformin, the BG isn’t dropping enough (average 120) to get into ketosis (average .5 and highest .9). The doctor doesn’t want to increase meds because the BG levels are in an acceptable range. So although eating Keto is perfect for glucose intolerance and overall health, it isn’t enough alone to lose weight. My journey continues and  I will try to add more exercise, drink more water (flushing BG sugar out), and add supplements to aid ketosis.   

I write all of this to simply say there are a lot of variables that need to be tracked and adjusted... Carb Manager is the perfect app for that. (I sent my doctor screenshots of all my readings) 

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • TK
    • orchid_sky
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I feel your pain.  I have been on Keto for a month and have only gained and lost the same pound and inches.  I do not know what to do.  It takes so much work to do this way of eating and without having anything to motivate you this is becoming a drag.  I am tired all the time which I was not at all before.  I know I am not fat adapted yet but have no idea why.. I do take meds for Fibro and the Lyrica can causes weight gain but I have been on these meds for 8 years and gained a few pounds and have been fighting this for years.  I walk a ton lift weights and have been low carb forever and am a healty eater.  I am also 55 and petite so trying to loose 5-7 pounds is very difficult on any diet.

Like 2
    • Annette
    • Gelinasannette
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

TK yes and hate to say it but the medical community is no help either. After asking for help from doctor I was told “being a woman who is menopausal makes it difficult to lose weight. First try the weight loss center at the hospital and if that doesn’t work there is bariatric surgery’  SMH. When they run out of ideas they suggest surgery. LOL. I just finished reading The Obesity Code which has tons on studies and suggestions. I recommend it. Nothing working for me yet but I haven’t given up. 

Like 3
    • Betina
    • Doing it right this time around!
    • Betina
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Annette and TK That’s so frustrating!  Tomorrow, I’ll be starting my new  daily “drink” that is meant to help a body get into ketosis more easily and also help ease some symptoms some people experience on a low carb diet. I just checked today: not in ketosis. I’ll be recording my progress. If you’d like to connect, just let me know. 💖

Like 1
  • Betina What is the drink? 

Like 1
    • Nosignolife
    • Retired constantly grinning fool !
    • Nosignolife
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hiya, I’m UK based I don’t know if this might help, but here go’s, I was at about 270 pounds to start, I decided to go for the Keto regime and in a week I’m down 5Kg or around 11 UK pounds, I have a couple of scrambled / fried eggs with a bacon slice  for Breakfast, a can of Tuna in brine (drained) and a dash of Mayo with salad for lunch, and say Chicken breast wrapped in bacon rasher for dinner. Around 1.5 litres of plain water a day. I’m a type 2 diabetic and have been hovering around 130 on the BG in the mornings before eating, and after a couple of hours after eating.  Hovering on ++ or +++ on Keto sticks and quite surprised my BG has dropped like a stone. Hope that helps a bit, perhaps try that for a week see if it works for you ? Good Luck, Dave

Like 1
    • Nosignolife
    • Retired constantly grinning fool !
    • Nosignolife
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Annette not quite sure that advice is good ! My wifey and I both are doing the Keto diet, and she is using a UK herbal product called Menopace, she’s 60yrs old and after 10 years of suffering trying to get the medical profession to help with Menopausal symptoms without resorting to HRT she tried these tablets on the advice of our new family doctor, there’s a night one for the dreaded night sweats and also a day one too. Her weight loss on the Keto has continued whilst on the  Menopace and she’s feeling a lot better, sleeping better and finding day to day things a lot easier.  Might be worth checking out their availability in your area, in the UK they are inexpensive and available via Amazon. Hope that helps you, Dave

Like 1
    • Annette
    • Gelinasannette
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Nosignolife thank you for the advice and the suggestion of Menopace. Yes it seems that there is a lot of adjustments that need to happen. The nutritionist has me now trying low carb low fat. What’s left? Lol. It is veggies and lean protein. Only a few days in but will check back with the results. 

• Annette
    • Gelinasannette
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Betina thank you for the support and understanding. Let me know how the new drink is working. 

Like 1
    • Betina
    • Doing it right this time around!
    • Betina
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Annette so far, so good. At end of first week, already inching in the right direction 

Like 1
    • Eric
    • Eric.12
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Your doing it wrong, otherwise you would lose.

Try lowering carbs even more and raise fats and protein.

You should be in calorie deficit as well and do 30 mins elliptical everyday.

Day 5 and I went from 198 and almost at 191 already.

6’2 32yo Male

• Vickie
    • Vickie.7
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am 69 yo with no thyroid. I just couldn’t lose any weight. I needed to lose the 20 pounds I picked up after menopause. I finally lost 10 on this diet.  This is the only diet I found that works for me. I have around 30 carbs a day, around 900-1000 calories; drink a lot of water and I walk 3 miles per day.  I sleep better than I  have in years. Stick with it. Good luck. 

• I feel your pain. The past month my weight has been a yo-yo.  I had to start fasting to bring the glucose levels down.   I started off with 16:8.  In addition, I found out certain cheese (Babybel), sugar free gum, and some diet drinks spike my glucose. 

If you decide to fast make sure you check your glucose in the morning and before you eat.  Of course, the entry of food will be important as well.  Something very light before a full meal, like the bulletproof coffee/tea. 

Good luck!!!

Like 1
  • Eric 

When you type 2, it doesn’t happen that quickly.  If the foods are spiking your glucose above 120, then it the insulin has kicked in to store the fat. 

Like4 Follow
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 141Views
  • 9 Following