Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
There’s almost nothing more comforting on a cold winter day than a hot bowl of French onion soup, but this French onion chicken dish might be even cozier. It takes the soup’s best flavors and combines them with juicy chicken breasts and shredded Swiss to create a savory meal that’s sure to be your new favorite.
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:2 HOURS 0 MINS
3 small onions, very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
3/4 c. beef broth
2 1/2 lb. large chicken breasts (about 6)
1 (1 oz.) instant onion soup mix packet
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
3 c. shredded Swiss cheese (about 8 oz.)
2 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Arrange onions in an even layer in the bottom of the slow-cooker. Pour beef broth over onions.
- Season chicken breasts all over with onion soup mix packet. Add in a single layer to the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, preheat oven to broil on high with a rack in the upper third. Transfer chicken, onions, and broth to a baking dish and sprinkle chicken with Swiss. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, about 6 minutes. Alternatively, top chicken with cheese in the slow cooker and increase the heat to high. Cover and continue to cook until the Swiss is melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
email me for more great recipes