• Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Bgump502
    • Bgump502
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Best advice I can give is “it gets easier.”  Your first few weeks are going to suck trying to figure out what you can and can’t have, but you get used to it. 

• Tegan
    • Tegan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome!  I'm only 3mths in myself, so not an expert, but here are some tips:

- invest is a set of electronic scales. I don't measure everything, but its handy to learn what a handful of something actually weighs.  I was underestimating things at first. Using the carbmanager app, not all food items have the option of ticking -cup, teaspoon etc, so knowing the weight can be very useful.

- a set of measuring cups/spoons is also handy, but not essential.  Its amazing how small a proper 'cup' measurement is

- Not only weigh yourself, but take measurements too.  Its easy to loose cm's but the scales don't change much

- Cauliflower mash is so useful as a topping for cottage pie, in fish cakes, stuffed mushrooms, as a side dish with meat/roast etc.  I use either frozen cauliflower or fresh, and instead of steaming (which adds more water to it) I roast it.  Sometimes the edges can burn, so watch and just cook till its just tender.  I then blend with a handheld mixer and add butter and/or cream, salt and pepper.  

- Almond flour is your new substitute for breadcrumbs.  I love keto KFC chicken. There are many recipes but my favourite is paprika, celery salt, onion flakes, italian herbs, garlic and ginger powders, pepper, mixed into almond flour. I use chicken drumsticks or thighs with the skin on. Dip lightly in the powder mix, then into beaten eggs, then back into the powder mix.  I bake, but you can also fry for a really crispy coating.  These are handy as a work lunch too.

- There are many recipes trying to replicate 'normal' foods, but some have the most obscure ingredients- protein powders, gums, waxes and all sorts.  I did buy xanthum gum, which is handy to thicken gravy and sauces when you'd usually add flour. I haven't bothered buying a cupboard full of the other stuff though, nor processed foods claiming to be low carb.  The aim is to eat minimally processed, whole foods where possible.

- One snack food i do enjoy are pork scratchings. Some brands are higher in carbs, so do check

- As for macros, the most important is keeping at or under your carb limit.  Fat is only there to keep your feeling full, so if you don't make it to your limit, that is fine.  At first I would often go over on protein.  Try to stick to your limit, but I still go over sometimes without any ill effect.  Its carbs to focus on to start with.

- Always check the carbs in sausages.  Often cheaper brands have rusk in them to bulk them out, and some have over 5g in each sausage!

- I printed off a list of vegetables that are lower in carb so when I was at a market or out shopping, I had a quick reference to check whether it was ok.  Nothing like seeing some fresh, delicious fruit or vegetable, then getting home and realising its full of carbs!

- drink plenty of water and increase your salt intake.  I use himalayan pink salt, as read it has more micronutrients

- Esp in the 1st month, there will be days when you will go over your limits and misjudge foods. Its all a learning curve, so dont be hard on yourself. Just get back on track the next day

Like 2
    • Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Tegan Kudos on the list!  I'll add read, do your own research!  I've seen some really bad information posted as facts when it's just wrong.  Read a variety of articles and you'll see what I'm saying, but more importantly, you'll be better able to pick out what does and doesn't make sense.  Also, just noticed, you joined in 2017?

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 70Views
  • 7 Following