Question about Xylitol

Trying to see which brand of fake sweetener to get and a lot of people recommended Xylitol. I did some research in the app and I'm a bit confused. I can buy a brand locally called Health Garden Real Birch Xylitol and the app says it's calories (14g for a tbsp) but it has them in grey and 0 for total calories. If I look up another like Smart Sweet Real Birch Xylitol it says it's 4g for a tbsp both in the greyed out section and for total calories. 

I guess what I'm asking is this: is Xylitol calories or not AND if it shows calories in the grey but not in the total calories will it effect my ketosis? 

Thanks in advance! 

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

HealthyFinnBear I’m curious about this also.  I want to make almond and cocOnut flour cake but the stevia tastes so bad to my palate. I think going by the oringal packaging is your best bet and maybe add a little less ? Everyone’s metabolism is different with these sweetners I have read but in general I would stick by a little less  goes a long way for our enjoyment and sometimes we need enjoyment. 

• linrenep
    • linrenep
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I have recently discovered that all Stevia is not alike. Brand makes a huge difference in taste. I bought stevia from Wal-Mart and gagged. I thought not ever going to happen. Then someone told me about Trader Joes brand. It was much more palatable. I like to use part Swerve and part Stevia ( found flavored Stevia at whole foods that I would actually say is good). I find mixing different sweeteners helps that awful aftertaste.

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

linrenep when baking and item mixing can be a bit tricky. I can tell you the “pyure” and “ now” brand I don’t care for. I’m thinking of just using the X or trivia but when I need a liquid for baking, what should I use? I like making the raspberry crumbly cake but wow- just can’t get past the grossness of the stevia. I eat the homemade product but in the back of my head I’m saying “ this could be so much better”. But then again maybe it’s good to not let the taste buds get used to a good tasting low carb baked good? We would eat it all the time? Lol!

• linrenep
    • linrenep
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I was thinking the same thing. None of the sweeteners is going to taste exactly like sugar. I've found in better off without all that baked stuff anyway. I do make chocolate chip cookie dough fat bombs however. They are my go-to when just needing something sweet. I use 1/2 Stevia and 1/2 eurthryratol (Swerve). I found stevia is better if use it sparingly. Its so strong 2-3 drops for an entire receipes is enough.

• building on this question... I could be totally wrong about this, but I had Splenda Natural in my cabinet before I started Keto... and it said sweeted by stevia on the front.  The ingredients list only Xylitol.  So in this case, is Splenda acceptable?

• Jen
    • Jen.70
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

my probiotic shows on the app 2 net carbs. I was told its from the xylitol and I could subtract it by the company. Why doesn't CM subtract it?

• Trina
    • Trina.6
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Threw a chocolate cake away yesterday because of the stevia flavour. I usually find stevia is fine but not for that. Today I made it again using erythritol and it is fine.

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 415Views
  • 8 Following