Help! Keto flu???

I am on day 3 of clean keto. Today was awful. Headache, nausea, GI distress. NEVER thought I would say this but NO appetite. I know it will pass- anyone have an idea how long it takes? Also, for the heck of it I tested for ketones and got small. I was surprised- thought it would take a week or two . The thought of eating dinner is nauseating. Ok if I skip my dinner? Or will that make the symptoms worse? Started on magnesium today. Any advice will be welcomed!

14replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Philip
    • Philip.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Merr55! Been following Keto for a week or two now. Have been able to avoid the worst of Keto flu for now but today have had a headache. I’ve been using Amazing Grass green drink with my supplements in the morning first thing, along with a quarter teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt and organic extra virgin Coconut oil, organic extra virgin Olive Oil and organic butter to help avoid symptoms. Today I got of track and the headache arrived. Just getting back on track now actually and the headache is going away. Make sure your taking a “quality” multivitamin, fish oil, probiotic, multi mineral, b complex and extra b12. I drink the green drink to swallow my supplements and just take the oils a tablespoon at a time, staggering throughout the day. Make sure your drinking plenty of filtered water as well. Hope this helps. 

Like 1
    • Philip
    • Philip.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

P. S. You might try a fiber supplement as well to keep everything moving. Don’t stop eating, just make sure your eating the right thing and follow your Macros. If your intermittent fasting it would probably be advisable to read up on it so you don’t encounter adverse symptoms. Take care. 

• Mer55
    • Mer55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you , good advice. I have hit all my macros the 1st 2 days, and will try to eat my dinner which will meet my goal. Will take B complex vitamins. Thanks for the response!

• Philip
    • Philip.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Your very welcome. Make sure you have food in your stomach when taking the b complex and I would suggest a sublingual b12 and let it dissolve under your tongue. Transitioning from burning carbs to burning fat is no fun. In my mind it’s withdraw symptoms plain and simple from lack of carbs and the body trying to transition. Liver and gall bladder probably  trying to figure out what to do and the body trying to get rid of the last of its carbs. Electrolytes are probably out of whack too. I’m going to try sipping on some bone broth later to see if that helps. A brisk walk or some other cardio exercise might aid in burning off the last of the carbs as well. Hang in there and hope you feel better soon. 

Like 2
    • wamdesigns
    • Back at it again...
    • wamdesigns
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It will pass... sugar addiction is calling for you to quit it. In about two weeks it will be gone and you will have a ton of energy and it all was worth it 😊

Like 1
  • Pickle Juice will help in 90 seconds flat

Like 2
    • ljtrlm
    • ljtrlm
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Salt salt and more salt!!  We need way more salt on this WOE. People dont realize how much. Salt your food. Salt your water. Pinch of salt and let it absorb under your tongue.  And like queen keto mom said...pockle juice will help because of the sodium in it. Stick with sea salt or pink salt tho!  No table salt!

Like 2
  • ljtrlm very very true! I salted a hot dog, eggs and avocado tonight!

Like 1
    • Jess
    • Jess.39
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I like to take a 24-32 oz water bottle and add a bit of lime/lemon juice, a couple of pinches of pink salt or no salt, a bit of stevia liquid sweetener and a mint or berry tea bag and fill the rest up with water. Give it a shake and sip the rest of the day. One of those each day has been my keto flu killer on this my second time around.

• Ssavig
    • Ssavig
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am wondering what affect adding so much salt could have on my already high ( but managed) blood pressure. ? Anyone know if this is a good idea for someone like me? I’m hoping this diet overall and losing weight will help bring my blood pressure down and I could get off my med. cutting carbs has already helped me feel so much better but I am dealing with headaches... on my third day now of keto. 

• Mer55
    • Mer55
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I took some advice and upped my salt intake, but cannot add it to my water, even with lemon, YUK. That said, I did start adding it more to my foods, started magnesium. I am going on 4 weeks into Keto, and I have cut my BP meds in HALF! Some of my dizziness was too much BP meds! See the doctor this coming week and hope I can get off of it all together!! 

Like 1
  • QUEEN KETO MOM  pickle juice cleaned me out within the hr. Try it if you are backed up 

• BeenieT
    • BeenieT
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Wow, I’ve  never heard of Keto  Flu! I was lucky my body took to Keto right away with no issues and no carb cravings from day one.  Didn’t even miss my ginormous bag of Skinny Pop that I would inhale daily! We lived on pasta, had it often cuz it’s a quick meal using whatever you’ve got at hand. I did low carb in the 90’s, pre-tech and found I’d eventually start to eat too many calories and would gain wait even on ketosis. This app is a Godsend to me. Started May 1st and down 29.4 as of today! Getting back into my “thin” clothes is like shopping for a whole new wardrobe without paying for it!

• BeenieT
    • BeenieT
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Mer55 I take magnesium in effervescent form that also has C & B in it.  I add my Kirkland fiber shit to that.  I only started adding the fiber powder a few weeks ago and it worked great getting me back to normal.  Well, normal for the small amount of food I’m ingesting.  I’m still in the weight loss mode, not maintenance. My numbers are good, but I can’t stop or lower my BP meds until I get back to walking more.  Hope I get there like you!

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 14Replies
  • 454Views
  • 9 Following