Am I still okay if I have Low net carb and higher total carb 20/70?

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • EKR1959
    • EKR1959
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That's a really large difference between total carb and net carbs - is the difference primarily from fibers or from sweeteners?  (For instance, if it's from a lot of fiber from eating vegetables then that would be different than if it's from eating Russell Stover candies or some such, since most "sugar-free" products generally available in stores are sweetened with maltitol, a sugar alcohol that does, in fact, spike glucose and should not be totally deducted from net carbs.) 

Hope all is going well … best wishes!

Like 1
    • Cscilley
    • cscilley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That is a big difference.  Your total carbs should not be more than 50.  I would go for fewer total carbs than more.

• Hello! I’m Beth. 43 years old and from Ohio. I started March 4th on this diet and am down 10. I would love to chat Keto, send me a friend request!

Like 2
    • CHDevil
    • Advocating against keto-myths.
    • CHDevil
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    cscilley said:
    I would go for fewer total carbs than more.

Everybody is playing it safe. Going for a minimum. But what if you actually would be getting the same results on 100g carbs ?

You...would...go...for....fewer. 

What about those would rather go for more ? What do they do ?

You say, keep below 50. If I asked you why 50 and not 60, you wouldn't be able to answer.

This is the one thing that sucks about keto unless you can point me to some info about the upper boundaries - nobody knows where they are. Everybody just restricts. They never say why...

• CHDevil I can surely answer that question. I primarily began keto to lose weight. I opted to follow the 20g of carbs or less because that is the number that has been agreed upon across the board to get almost anyone into ketosis. At 20g or less, my weightloss is steady. My overall mood & energy levels are incredible at that threshold as well. I have toyed with taking in more carbs several times. I remain in ketosis even at 100+g, however, my weightloss comes to a screeching halt & my energy levels plummet. & let's not forget the terrible abdominal pain that lasts until those extra carbs are flushed out of my system. 

The benefits of eating to your exact "carb limit" just aren't worth it IMO. I'll gladly stay at 20g to keep shedding pounds & inches at my current rate.

Like 2
    • tiffsterr
    • tiffsterr
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

My experience is eating 25 carbs a day or less will send me into a cold within two weeks.  I need more vitamin C to keep healthy and so I have to include some lower carb fruit like melon and berries to keep healthy and high energy.  I am not a fan of vitamin suplements,  I just try to eat fresh foods that meet my nutritional needs.  I am targeting 50 carbs or less a day but also targeting 700+ calories burned with exercise and that takes care of the extra carbs.

Like 1
    • Slim
    • slim
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

CHDevil 

you need to cut all grains and starchy veggies like potatoes and corn. Stay away from anything labeled low fat. They use corn starch and corn syrup to replace the flavor of the fat they remove.If you can manage that you don’t need any count on anything

• Slim
    • slim
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

tiffsterr melons have a lot of carbs. Stick with berries and take vitamin C tablets if necessary. Your immune system should improve and I would be concerned that something else is wrong if you are catching a lot of colds

• tiffsterr
    • tiffsterr
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The only time I get sick is when I don't eat right and for me that includes fruit.  I realize others may be different.  I have been in ketosis solid now 10 days eating probably more carbs than other people but still under 50 per day, I just exercise a lot more to make up for it.  I don't do supplements because I only want natural sources of my nutrients.  I eat sprouts and microgreens in addition to normal veggies as well.   

Like 2
    • Jlarose
    • Jlarose
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

tiffsterr so i being that im just starting i can do under 50g instead of 20 since i am already active throughout the day delivering packages n i drink a gallon of water a day n jumprope for about 30 min at night i should get the same results

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 200Views
  • 9 Following