Carbs and wine

I would like to put the following question to you: My wife and I are on a low-carbohydrate diet. With success because now more than 20 kg have been lost. However, we would still like to enjoy a glass of wine. Carb Manager states that a glass of red or white wine contains 3 grams of carbohydrates per 150 ml glass. Other nutrition sites indicate the same. Now I found a different reasoning on the site of an American site for wine lovers (www.winefolly.com). This states that you should start from the amount of residual sugar specified by the wine producer (RS is residual sugar in grams per liter). For this you often need to have access to the technical sheet of the specific wine. But then you see that the residual sugar of a dry white or red wine is often limited to between 2 and 6 grams of residual sugar per liter. I.e. that a glass of wine (x 0.125) would contain only 0.25 to 0.75 grams of sugar = carbohydrates. That is quite different from 3 grams! For the record: our carbohydrate intake per day should preferably be a maximum of 25 grams per day. With our meals we quickly come to more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day. So 0.75 or 3 grams makes a lot of difference. Who has a (well-founded) opinion about this? Peter Hanen

3replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Kat H
    • From Chunky & Funky to Fit & Fabulous!
    • Kat_H
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sound like "total" vs "net" carbs. You are correct - if you factor in the residual sugar, you're talking 0-4g NET carbs per serving. 

https://winefolly.com/lifestyle/carbs-in-wine/

• I only drink white dry wine, or prosecco, because they have the least amount of sugar. Also, I drink rarely, and not more than one glass in an evening. Over time, the desire to drink wine has simply disappeared.

• Jojooooo
    • Jojooooo
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi peter

I like a glass of wine of an afternoon too. 
    However - I recently discovered that vodka fresh lime and Soda is ZERO carbs so I have that as my drink on a day when my carbs are going to get to 20g from food. 
    cheers :)

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 3Replies
  • 120Views
  • 4 Following