Little or no progress

i have been on keto for 6 weeks, 20 g carbs, 58 G protein, and  136 g fat, although i rarely reach the latter in fat. I’m vegetarian, so my protein is from eggs and dairy mostly however I’m lactose intolerant and cant eat most dairy products. I also eat some fish. I’m very frustrated because this is not fast weight loss. My calorie intake is around 1500 daily. I’m active, i walk 4-5 miles daily plus do other things as well. I test my urine regularly and I’m not in ketosis. What the hell?

16replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • migsmom
    • 655721be553932629b01
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Are you doing the diet for weight loss or a specific health issue? 

• Jdekergo
    • Jdekergo
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Weight loss. I’m overweight by 60 pounds. 

• migsmom
    • 655721be553932629b01
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Just looking at your grams, I think you should up your protein and decrease fat.  I also am very active, walk 5-6 miles  x 6 and I’m eating 25-30% protein and eating a bit more calories in maintenance. Good  sources of fat and protein are nuts/seeds, nut butters, and Greek yogurt (which I believe may be ok for you). If you are just wanting weight loss, ketosis is not required.  Low carb, healthy fat diets are just as good. Keto is not a fast way to lose weight,  it may seem that way because of the water loss in the beginning but the losses slow down.

Like 1
    • Sylvia
    • Sylvia.11
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You should have 75% fat. 20% protein and 5% carbs 

• Sylvia
    • Sylvia.11
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Jdekergo You should have 75% fat. 20% protein and 5% carbs 

• Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto in this app is 5:25:70 (Carbs:Protein:Fat), so migsmom is right, your fat numbers are too high.  You're at 80% fat!  On Keto, the objective is to force your body to consume stored fat vs. carbs, but in a controlled manner.  If you feed it too much fat, it will consume that fat vs. stored fat.  Stored fat has limits on how quickly it can be consumed by your body, so you must supplement it by eating fat, but you may be overdoing it and eating too much fat.  Why not choose the Keto macro and let the app do its thing?

Like 1
    • diet123
    • diet123
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Karbndall my question is this..if I’m staying under in carbs under in fat but over some in protein will that take me out of ketosis? Also, I’m staying under calories. Some days a few hundred under and some less than 50 over on calories. Seems like I bounce in and out of ketosis. Is sugar free chocolate ok to eat and sugar free candy to suck on or will that take you out of ketosis? What about flavoring your water with stevia water drops? What about Propel? 

• diet123
    • diet123
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I’m feeling discouraged also. I’ve been reducing carbs since Oct 5th. Started stricter keto Nov 1. Still not much progress. The scale is down a few pounds, but then I see where people are down 15-20 lbs in 2 weeks! How can that even be possible? I’m hypothyroid and insulin resistant and take metformin and levothyroxine. Makes me wonder if I should be tweaking something here for better results. At this rate it’s going to take me years to lose 50-60 lbs. I refuse to give up, just feeling defeated. 

• fergerson
    • fergerson
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

diet123 

• Mare
    • Life is a beautiful ride
    • Mare.4
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

diet123  weight loss of more than 5-8lbs a MONTH isn't sustainable.  Although I appreciate that a very few people have extreme reduction in the beginning, it is apparent to me (and scientists) that sustained weight loss  takes time and hard work.   

Keep up the great work!  Believe in yourself.

Hard work, dedication, and perseverance = results. 

Like 1
    • Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

diet123 I read somewhere there is a myth about eating too much protein kicking you out of ketosis and they were clear, that is a myth.  Just keep your carbs well under your limit.  50 calories for me is like 2% and no way would I sweat that.  Just remember, ketosis and weight loss are two separate things.  You need a calorie deficit to lose weight and you need very low carbs to obtain and remain in ketosis.  I've heard sugar free chocolate is ok, but like the Learn About Keto section says, the goal is to eat healthy foods and reduce all use of artificial sweeteners. 

I agree with Mare about the time it takes to lose the weight.  Usually, the high loss numbers being posted is the initial water weight and not weekly or monthly loss rates.  Some people that have a lot to lose can initially see larger proportional monthly losses, but we really can't compare our unique situation to that.  For most people it took years to gain the excess weight and it will take time to lose it.  The app is really good at calculating your daily macro nutrient numbers and I'm amused at people trying to outsmart it.  50-60 lbs could take a year or more to drop, but if you want it to be sustainable, this will be a lifestyle change.

Like 1
    • Sher G
    • KetoDream
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

diet123  I think you have started out right, and now need to tweak what you are doing.   Try waiting later for breakfast.  Try to increase this waiting so that you 1st eat for the day at around 11 am.  To take your Thyroid  medicine early, just have a coffee with no carb heavy cream so that you have no insulin response, or try tea.   You and I have Hypothyroid, and I take the same medicine.  How many calories are you down to per day?   Use CM to find out if your "sugar free" chocolate and candy have carbs before eating them.  If you stay 21 carbs per day or less, you should not be kicked out of ketosis.   Since you are insulin resistant, you are probably slowly healing your metabolism so to speak.  Try to decrease your calories by another 100 or 150 per day - just a thought.  Use CM to figure out where to set it to have better results.  Hang in there - sounds like a great start so far.

• DLMonty
    • DLMonty
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

diet123 

• DLMonty
    • DLMonty
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You mentioned sugar free candy & chocolate,  what is the sugar sub?  A bad sugar sub can keep you from ketosis. 

• Supermom
    • Supermom.2
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

diet123 Don't give up!  Those losing fast are not on medications like you are.  Hold steady and you will be able to get off the metformin eventually.    Slow and stead wins the race.  It's an all or nothing diet - one cheat and you're hooped.  So stick to your top 5 veggies and minimal amounts of them at that.  Half an avo daily.  Eggs are great.  Also for pizza, I'm doing it with 2 cups toasted cauliflower and 1 cup asiago cheese and 1 egg.  Bake, cool then top it.  Hope that helps.  Drink more water too you have to pee lots so drink drink drink.

• Hi, I am also in Phase I (max 20g carbs per day): all depends WHERE your 20g carbs come from . actually, according to the atkins.com Phase I guidelines, "12-15g of your carb total should come from cooked vegetables and salad". The guidelines also mention other conditions to respect.. but it should work, because 1500 calories is not much, and you're active! You can have a look at the guideline on this link:https://eu.atkins.com/why-atkins/the-phases/phase-1-induction.html

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 16Replies
  • 336Views
  • 12 Following