Hi everyone I just started the Premium version. I need advice on changes I may need to make since I am back on corticosteroids.

Fighting Vasculitis with Corticosteroids, need help in losing weight while taking the "demon pill".

13replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Welcome! I think a medical professional would be best suited to help. Have you sought the advice of your doctor?

Like 1
  • goplay  I should have clarified that the side effects of my meds are an increased appetite.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how knock it down without gaining weight. Like should I eat more often but smaller calories or take advantage of the snacks?

Like 1
  • melli73fmaaef I understand! I eat TONS of broccoli, salad, etc.  all of which fills you up and is good for you too. Maybe you can't avoid gaining weight, but you might minimize that way. Be kind to yourself no matter what!

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

melli73fmaaef  I think if you stay Keto or low carb, you shouldn’t gain weight but maybe water weight, which may actually be just a little. Low carb or Keto may be the best thing you do for your body! I agree with the others, get with your doc on your eating plan intentions. Who knows, maybe the vasculitis will knock out of the park with low carb! Check online “keto while taking corticosteroids” see what pops up.  

Like 1
  • Tiger_Woman  Thanks for the food choices and the support, I really need it right now. 

• Badmojomn  thanks, I never thought of looking that up before...I'm so glad I reached out. Discouraged just flipped to Determined!

Like 2
  • I have been type 2 diabetic for years and got to the point that I had maxed out dosage of metformin and glimeperide and when my last blood panel came back A1c 8.6 I was prescribed insulin and told to start at 10 units and test and titrate till I found a good dose. I had bad low sugar episodes and was told to eliminate the glimepiride. That stabilized things but I was on a ton of meds and 60lbs overweight. Also there is NO generic insulin so about $400 foir 3 months supply. That is when I started looking for alternative therapy. I bumped into Keto when I read about “keto flu” and saw just how much it was like narcotic withdrawal. Eureka! Carb withdrawal! About 1 month into ketosis I have lost about 15lbs and my average Ketones test between 1.5 and 2.0 mmlo/L steady. However I am still very much in "keto flu’ in that I have extreme fatigue and brain fog constantly. Also I was expecting to be able to reduce dosages of metformin and insulin but when I do my blood sugar spikes to 140 mg/dl area. I am now thinking that perhaps I am not able to produce enough insulin on my own to handle the residual carbs in the keto diet. Is there some test I can ask the doctor to do to see if I am super insulin resistant or perhaps not able to produce much insulin at all? All suggestions welcome.

Like 2
  • Steven Lee Gaber  I decided go premium membership because it has meal planners that will generate according to what you want to include and exclude with ingredients and modify your macros. Once I began adding more fat I wasn't so fatigued....but my grandmother was type 1 and was never able to get off of her insulin. Hopefully someone will read this and be able to help you more.  Oh and you can tap on glycemic load and it calculates for each meal, maybe that can help you. 

Like 1
  • after having fasting blood sugar testing 140-150 mg/dl no meds I took 1000mg metformin and 10 units insulin yesterday morning and tested fasting 82 mg/dl with ketone 1.1 mmol/L.  having been in ketosis steady for a month now I get the feeling I am not quite ready to ween myself off meds.  Can someone suggest a test to determine if my pancreas is capable of producing insulin??  I am going in to have blood work read and another blood panel perscribed soon.  thanks.

Like 1
  • Steven Lee Gaber  try to post your introduction instead of replying on a post, you would have everyone read your question. If you can't let me know,  I can try to help you out. 

• melli73fmaaef can't figure out how to do that as I am new to forums.  Help!

Like 1
  • Steven Lee Gaber I set you up a post on Introduce Yourself....on the top right of the screen it has a tab that says "Add New" . Tap on it and you can begin your post. For now you may want to check in that topic and the Title Steven Lee Gaber.

Like 1
  • melli73fmaaef thanks, I think

Like Follow
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 153Views
  • 5 Following