How many net carbs should I aim for? This app gave me 80 which seems way too much? Looking to lose 10 pounds.

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

80 is way too much.  most people on here are at 15-20 net carbs.  I am at 15 for a 1,200 calorie daily goal.

Like 1
    • Scotslass
    • Scotslass
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Moondrake Moondrake 

• Scotslass
    • Scotslass
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Is that 15-20 grams??

• Moondrake
    • Mother of Doggies
    • Moondrake
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Scotslass sorry, yes that's 15 to 20 grams of net carbs. Since you have so little to lose, I'm afraid you're going to have to try to cut back as much as possible on carbs. I'd suggest eliminating dairy and pretty much all processed foods, I suggest trying to stay within about 10 carbs of fresh produce and other healthy sources such as eggs and nuts daily.  One of the CM guys is doing the keto carnivore diet, and he's essentially taking in zero carbs. He seems to know what he's doing, but I'm unconvinced that a diet with no vegetables in it is good for you. But maybe on the short-term it would help you hit your goal. His screen name here on carb manager is Josh. You can find him in Groups under keto diet and keto pros if you'd like to ask him any questions.

• Scotslass
    • Scotslass
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Moondrake 

• Scotslass
    • Scotslass
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks for the quick response. I would find it hard to reduce my carbs as I workout at the gym 5 times/wk, horse ride and walk my 5 doggies so think I am okay if I lose a pound per week - want to lose 10lbs at least though. It can all be quite confusing though so I appreciate all the info, thanks again!

• CHDevil
    • Advocating against keto-myths.
    • CHDevil
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This app might have done a great job and a great service to you.

Look, I've sort of made it my mission to be the devils advocate, so I'd say - despite everyone saying it's too much, go with it. Give this app some credit and go with 80 - and I'm all ears for people having arguments against it. I bet there won't be any except the, we're all doing 20 mantra. 

I'm not sure if we're producing an excessive amount of ketones in the beginning or if we just aren't used to burn them - but I'm pretty bent towards that it's the later. Meaning before you get fat adapted you aren't burning either all your ketones, nor anything else since your glycogen reserves are long gone. So here comes gluconeogenesis into the game - your body might start producing glycogen from fat and/or muscle. Is that straining in any way ? I don't know...  Is that a good thing ? I don't know.

Why not just give it to your body directly ? 

If I were you, I'd get my hands on some keto pee strips. A 48 hour fast will deplete your glycogen and get you into ketosis. You'll notice your pee getting oily. If that stops or your test strips show negative, go for 60g. for 40g if anything fails. Given that the normal intake is around 300g you've already moved in the right direction. All you need is to adjust a tad more.

There's no reason - I haven't read any anywhere - why anyone should religiously stick to 20g. Or start off at 20. Some advocate 50g as a general rule. Chances are you're a large male like I am - 80 might just be your 20.

But you'll never find out unless you try.

You can play it safe and go 20 like everyone else. Or you could watch your test strip and share the results on 80. I'd really appreciate the later.

At first glance, I'm doing great on 60. Haven't lost weight though. Still experimenting.

Like 1
    • CHDevil
    • CHDevil
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    Moondrake said:
    Does running over a kid at 15mph do significantly less damage than running them over at 16mph? Of course not.

I bet running over a kid at 20mph instead of 15, might do twice the damage. Also, there might be bottlenecks involved. Thresholds that trigger something new. Things are not always linear.

If you put up a shield limiting speed at 20, people might go 30. With 15, they might do 20mph. And I bet they take all this into account. We might be getting carbs on board we forget to calculate for - so someone probably came up with aiming at 20g being a "safe" idea. We might do 50 and not know it - and still be in ketosis because we aimed at 20.

One more reason for me to think that you'd do just fine with 80, all the more while hitting the gym 5 times a week.

• CHDevil
    • CHDevil
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Might I ask what your weight and BMI is ?

• CHDevil I agree with the Devil 😇 I had to bump my carbs up as I was getting extremely weak at the gym. Since I bumped from 20 net carbs to 50 I've lost another 2 inches off my waist in less than a month .  However I eat a lot of vegetables so that is  my main carb source.  I've heard some people at work who are doing this who don't track  carbs for For their veggies (Ie kale spinach brocolli etc) and they have had fantastic results! I am interested to know your results!

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 148Views
  • 7 Following