Three weeks behind me. Still zero energy.

I started keto Oct 13. I studied and read all I could to be able to do it healthy.   Starting weight  285.  Within two weeks I lost 18 lbs of fluid.  I drank mostly dr peppers and had a high carb diet.   The rapid weight loss being fluid is expected.  There is very little change in clothes.   

I stay 20 net carbs and the correct ratios of fat/protein.  Just under 1500 calories.  I have lost 19 lbs all together.  There have been days I did t eat my limits because I could not get it together to have food to eat or feel up to preparing it   

My problem is fatigue and weakness.  I have zero energy.  The last three weeks has been very little activity.  I am 61 years old.  I take supplements and keep the electrolytes up.  Advice, idea, anything will help.  Thank you.  

11replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Advice: Stick with it..  My guess is, you are not fat adapted yet.  It seems three weeks is about the time most people feel the energy loss.  Was for me.  I was cutting the grass thinking "What is wrong with me?"  It really should get better.  You said "correct ratios of fat/protein"?  You're hitting your protein and fat grams for the day?  I have a theory I'm working on about fat intake in the first few weeks.

• You’re definitely not fat adapted yet. That can take several weeks.  You ate a lot of carbs before you started keto, so your body is used to having access to a lot of glucose for energy.  You’re in withdrawal. Just keep going, make sure the carbs stay low and right now just eat to satiety with plenty of fats and adequate protein.  When you feel better then limit calories.  1500 calories seems low at your weight, consider 100-200 more calories a day. As you lose you can adjust calories downward.  

• SALLY
    • SALLY.19
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

"My problem is fatigue and weakness.  I have zero energy." We should start a club 😊

I'm at day 22, and although I'm feeling slightly better, this has been hell for the last two weeks. On the days I felt like throwing in the towel I ate slightly more carbs (and stayed in ketosis). I exercise every day ( I'm one of those fat but fit people) and let my body dictate the intensity. My stamina is very slowly increasing but I have to force myself to exercise.

Hang in there. Take naps when you can. Drink lots of fluids. Go to a day spa, if you can. Pamper yourself!

• I  remember someone saying it could take a month.  It has been twenty two days and I am weak.  Almost all days I meet all the micros.  I do electrolytes, potassium, supplements.  I have recorded all but two days.   There have been a few days I didn’t eat enough because I was too weak to cook.  It was just eggs on those days.  I don’t feel like giving up but I just want to be stronger.  My family misses me. I am grouchy at times.  My poor granddaughter lost her play buddy.  

I am doing this for health.  I drink my water sometimes using the mio when get tired of plain water.  We have well water. 

I knew there would be an adjustment but goodness.  

I even eat spinach each morning with my eggs. 

What does fat fat adapted mean??? It

• Karbndall 

I remember someone saying it could take a month.  It has been twenty two days and I am weak.  Almost all days I meet all the micros.  I do electrolytes, potassium, supplements.  I have recorded all but two days.   There have been a few days I didn’t eat enough because I was too weak to cook.  It was just eggs on those days.  I don’t feel like giving up but I just want to be stronger.  My family misses me. I am grouchy at times.  My poor granddaughter lost her play buddy.  

I am doing this for health.  I drink my water sometimes using the mio when get tired of plain water.  We have well water. 

I knew there would be an adjustment but goodness.  

I even eat spinach each morning with my eggs. 

What does fat fat adapted mean??? It

• SALLY 

• I don’t know I would have energy to go to a spa. 

• Karbndall
    • Start-7/2019, hit goal-9/2019
    • Karbndall
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Well I was hoping to find an article in the Learn About Keto section of the app, but some talk about being Keto-adapted, which they seem to define as after the Keto flu or about one week. Another article discussed fat adapted that says wait a full month, which is closer to my understanding. 5-6 weeks was my understanding. Your body first produces ketones when you restrict carbs, but being fat adapted is when your body is over all transition stages and has settled into producing the right amount of ketones from fat. There is no test for fat adapted, but most of the symptoms you describe will be gone.

• Showthyme
    • Showthyme
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Have you checked your iron, vitamin B12 and vitamin D/K levels? It seems to help me. I am 61 too. 

My energy is okay for my age as long as I stay away from too many carbs.

• SpainDC
    • SpainDC
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

the switch from carb to fat metabolism takes more time if you have been eating the classical western diet in the last 50-60 years... a kid can switch metabolism in a matter of hours... a young adult might have to wait a few weeks. At 60+ you may be looking at month... I strongly advice you regularly check ketones (urine strips, breath or blood), and if you have insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/diabetes 2, I would also check blood glucose.
    Do supplements include vitamins (especially B12)?
    I would also recommend omega 3 and CoQ10 to boost mitochondrial activity.
    Finally, 1500 calories seem very low for a person your weight... you might want to take in more calories and decrease as you go along losing weight.
    as for activity, try avoiding intensity, and go for 30 min walks at a gentle pace, especially after eating carbs.
    good luck!

• SALLY
    • SALLY.19
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm now on day 25 and starting to feel a little bit better. I went on a hike yesterday, one I've done hundreds of times (2 miles up, 2 miles down) and it was slower-going than usual even with the cooler weather (socal).

Gatorade Zero has helped me a lot. I've needed more sleep than usual. In the morning I'm more foggy-headed than usual. Still difficult to concentrate. BUT the scale is finally moving. Making progress!

Like 1
Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 11Replies
  • 143Views
  • 8 Following