Favourite self education finds please add to 😀

With so much to learn I was so grateful I found this forum with such generous time & experience gifts’. I have noticed a strong trend in many questions being repeated, I didn’t read enough before starting myself ~ but some people are really in the dark & I don’t think they will stick with it as a result. Along the lines of help but in a relaxed way I thought I would list some YouTube & Websites I found useful.

Please add to the thread if you can as the more information we have the more informed our choices can be. Thank you.

This App. Leanne at Healthful Pursuit  ~ YouTube, Website.  Susan Peirce Thompson Ph.D. at Bright Line Eating ~ YouTube, Website, Free Survey.  Keto Christina YouTube.  

Pinterest ~ recipes once you can spot ingredients that you are avoiding as you need to pick through a bit....

132replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Joanna One word for insomnia : tryptophan. 

Like 1
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

ALCOHOL

Found this on the Diet Doctor Website.

The keto diet can reduce alcohol cravings and may even help curb alcoholism

Many people, have found the keto diet, greatly helped reduce their cravings for both sugar and alcohol and reduced their urge and need to drink — likely because the diet evens out blood sugar fluctuations. Discussion threads on the popular social media site Reddit have many posts from people who found adopting the ketogenic diet helped them lower their consumption or even kick their alcohol addiction.

“Once you get past the carb addiction and become a fat burner, your body has that other fuel (fat) that it can use instead of carbs and ethanol, and because it’s so satiating, both the carb and ethanol cravings subside”

Film director Tom Naughton, who made the documentary Fat Head, says that when he was a vegetarian he craved alcohol and had trouble stopping once he started drinking. He lost the craving and desire to drink when he went on the low-carb/high-fat diet. “I thought I needed a 12-step program. Turns out I actually needed a medium-rare steak.”

The ketogenic diet may even help alcoholics detox. The US National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism in Bethesda, Maryland is currently starting a new clinical trial to investigate the use of the ketogenic diet during detox for alcohol dependency. Principal investigator Corinde Wiers, PhD, notes that a number of studies and observations on brain energetics suggest that the ketogenic diet is a promising supplementary intervention for alcohol use disorders (AUD.)

The NIAAA team is now recruiting 50 initial subjects, male and female, who are dependent on alcohol and want to stop drinking. These people will be admitted for an all-expenses paid residential treatment program for alcoholism for three weeks and randomized into the ketogenic diet (25 people) and the standard American diet (25) while undergoing otherwise normal detox therapy. Then after discharge, the patients will be followed for a year to assess drinking behaviour and relapses, if any.

The ketogenic diet could help you reduce your cravings for alcoholic drinks.

“We will test if the ketogenic diet has an effect on withdrawal symptoms, craving, alcohol cue-induced brain reactivity and sleep quality,” says Wiers. If it does, then the ketogenic diet could become part of the arsenal of therapy for alcoholics who want to quit, she says.

The takeaway: the ketogenic diet could help you reduce your cravings for alcoholic drinks, or even help you quit altogether.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (Joanna)

I have gone from 4 or 5 bottles of wine a week(!) to ZERO alcohol without batting an eye. Now I know why.

Like 10
    • Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Joanna I have to say keto didn't reduce my urge for alcohol. Im just more choosy now thinking low carb mixers, low carb alcohol. I have a social circle who loves their cocktails and after a hard week of mentally stressful work, I get booze on Friday. I'm not an alcoholic, but higher stressed job makes me want to get out of my own head sometimes. I just get back on the fat wagon next morning and even did some readings on my blood. Still keto most mornings. Inhibitions with drinking can cause us to reach for the potato chips etc. I reach for pork rinds and sour cream. 

Like 7
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

3 Tweaks to the traditional keto diet by Dr Eric Berg

https://youtu.be/5ghvkQCIls4

making me re look at vegetables and perhaps relaxing more about them versus carbs from other sources.

Like 2
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Fine Tuning Data on Living Keto

Dr Stephen Phinney ~ Achieving & Maintaining Ketosis 

https://youtu.be/2KYYnEAYCGk

excellent lecture! although maybe not for absolute beginners unless you have built some lingo knowledge 

• badmojomn I’m going to a dance on Saturday is there any alcohol or drinks you would recommend because I would like to have a couple

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

stephaniel Im a captain Diet Coke girl. Or Jamison whisky straight up, but if your concerned about getting to tipsy I'll have 1 hard drink or two and a couple very light beers after. I stay keto when I have the booze unfortunately but be cautious - it may hit you like a bomb. With keto I feel intoxicated a lot quicker. Best to pour then light or make sure someone you know keeps track. I buy Zevia pop if i can bring it to functions.  Otherwise any diet pop. I stay super low carb still ketosing day of and day after. Back to fat and bacon next day. 

Like 3
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

To cheat or not to cheat..... Read this & decide for yourself.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cheat

Like 2
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Exercise advise that I think is so helpful I posted a copy here. Credit & thanks to wamdesigns  đŸ‘đŸ»đŸ‘đŸ‘đŸ‘ - I really hope you don’t mind. This is excellent.

I started up exercise 3-4 times a week for 35 minutes. I walk as fast I can 2.7 miles.  

I didn't feel good and my body was like lead. Did not loose much and I was tired and like feeling out of breath. I should not feel like that, I had been active all my live. 

So, I do Keto 20 grams of carbs and the whole nine yards of fat and protein. But I had to change because I didn't feel good at all, didn't want to move and my weight loss stopped. How can that be right? I must be cheating. No, here is what I had to do, luckily my Doc/ Nurse told me what I had to do.  

I still do Keto at 20 grams of Carbs, but I don't add like extra fat to my coffee or do Keto bombs. All I did was added more protein to my diet and the fat that comes with it naturally or it was cooked in fat. 

2 to 3 weeks and things looked a lot better and I feel great again. Because the higher protein is converted naturally in your body to glucose for the workout. The best part of this process is, that your body doesn't make excessive glucose from protein ingested! Only what it needs to make you feel good and to get you through your workout. So I have 35-40 protein.  

But I do that also because I have no thyroid due to thyroid cancer (made me hyper thyroid, which was another nightmare) and have to take meds for live. But that T4 that I take also needs glucose to convert to T3, those two hormones need to be right, to also loose weight. T3 basically rides on a carb through your blood stream, to be able to its job.

So upping the protein was a huge difference for me and could be for others that may have the same problem.

I was not pre Diabetic or Diabetic, so I don't know how that works for that group. My demon is was overactive hyper thyroid and now the opposite. Both Diabetic and Thyroid problems have to be solved in different ways. 

But I was told that if I add more protein for exercise and my Thyroid would not make my body convert more glucose. Naturally we don't oversplurch sugar. It's us our brains that love the taste of sugar.  If we have too much of it, it's converted into fad, makes our body more acidic and makes our pancreas work overtime until it doesn't work anymore. 

So as I was told, eat more protein when exercising. 

Btw... I started to loose again when I stopped the EXTRA fat and added a little more protein. So good luck to you and never stop reading about carbs, fat, protein and exercise. There is a lot of good books and Blogs out there.

Sticking to your Goal is a Super Power.

Like 9
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Easiest Intermittent Fasting explanation ever.

Dr Becky Gillaspy 

https://youtu.be/_PF9TUH7ZpU

Has anyone tried the fat fast??

Like 3
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Understanding Macros

https://youtu.be/U-xA8XoLGHc

Like 1
    • wamdesigns
    • Back at it again...
    • wamdesigns
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Joanna I don't mind at all, if it can help someone else, it will make me happy. 

đŸ€ 

Like 2
    • wamdesigns
    • Back at it again...
    • wamdesigns
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

badmojomn my poison is Diet Shasta (lemon lime or orange) with Vodka. I don't have it often, but it never messes with my Ketone. 

• Badmojomn
    • badmojomn
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

wamdesigns mmmmm. Gonna try this. I have to be carful with vodka though. lol 

• Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Dot explains insulin & IF in 2 minutes wow! If you struggle to understand why & how to IF this is a must see video.

https://youtu.be/dtT7Q184sVk

Like 1
    • Perry
    • Perry
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am going to suggest this site: https://www.ketovangelist.com/

If nothing else give the podcasts a listen,  you will learn a lot from  the MD's and Researchers he interviews.  

• Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto & IF for beginners 🙌

https://youtu.be/AnyFVWwzgJI

• Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Perry thanks I have booked marked it and will enjoy browsing around, looks interesting at first glance. 

• Perry
    • Perry
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    • Joanna
    • Joanna
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Keto Diet Regimens:

Copied from a public website

healthyhappysmart.com

Beginning notes on the different Keto regimens:

• almost all of them eat a High Fat, Low Carb, Medium Protein macronutrient diet. With few exceptions.
    • The % of fat for Keto is approx 65 – 80% of all calories.
    • Carbs are stated below in each regimen.
    • The protein is a standard amount that can be found in a normal SAD diet, around 20 – 30%. You could also use any website that specializes in calculating enough protein to keep you from losing muscle mass. To be clear – Keto is NOT a high protein diet.

Low Carb

If you are just “low carb” – you would consume between 50 & 150 grams of carbs a day. Technically it’s not a “keto diet” because you can’t reach ketosis with this amount of daily carbs. Also, food types are broad, with few exceptions that you would NOT see in a regular Keto Diet. For example: small amounts of fruit or bread is allowed.

Keto (Nutritional Ketosis)

On a Keto diet, you can consume between 0 to 50 grams of carbs a day. Food types are broad, with few exceptions, as long as they meet their daily macro goals. The typical macro count is: 0 – 10% carbs, 20-30% protein, 60-80% fat. The goal of the group is to be “Ketogenic Adapted”. As a rule, most people have to stay under 50 grams of carbs a day to reach this goal. They use devices such as a Ketonix or urine sampling ketone strips to confirm they are in Ketosis and stay in Ketosis on a regular basis.

Very Low Carb Keto (VLC Keto)

This group eats between 0 to 10 grams of carbs a day. People choose to go this low because carbs cause bad effects on their bodies. Primarily the diet consists of animal meat consumption, with a small amount of low carb plant-based foods.

For quick weight loss, this group has a deficit of calories. Or for maintenance or slower weight loss, they can eat above their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

Carnivore Keto (AKA Zero Carb)

This group consumes between 0 to 5 grams of carbs a day. This group skips plant-based foods however, they might use a tiny amount of herb seasonings for flavor. This is the exact opposite of a Vegan diet. High-calorie meals are ok, like VLC, they either lose slowly or maintain their weight effortlessly. When following such a  low carb regimen as this one, you can skip taking tests with urine strips or using any external devices to tell you that you are in Ketosis. It’s almost guaranteed that you are while eating this few amount of carbs daily.

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet or CKD, TKD

This Keto diet is specifically for advanced bodybuilders. They use it for maximum muscle growth. When doing an intense workout, it cycles the carb intakes from low to high.

“Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)” is another workout/bodybuilding regimen. You basically eat carbs before your high-intensity workouts. Both diets are normal Keto diets when not doing workouts.

Modifiers / Extras

Many choose to add one of the below modifiers as an extra title to their regimen. E.G.: Vegan Keto, Paleo Keto, Primal Carnivore Keto, Low Carb Vegetarian, Paleo VLC.
    NOTE: Obviously you can’t be a “Vegan Carnivore Keto”, so there are exceptions to this section.

Vegan

This group eats no food derived from animals or dairy. They may have some difficulty getting enough protein if they want to also be on a keto diet. Good fats include coconut oils and some nut oils.

Vegetarian

Similar to vegan, only they consume dairy sometimes. They also may have some difficulty getting enough protein if they want to also be on a keto diet. Good fats include coconut oils and some nut oils.

Paleo

Avoid eating highly processed foods and dairy. One thing about Paleo is that it recommends skipping foods that were not available for consumption before the agricultural revolution. Prefers organic and unrefined foods. Paleo is opposed to saturated fats. You should restrict certain types calorie-free sweeteners like Splenda.

Primal

Similar to Paleo, but more liberal about what they can eat. They can eat dairy and saturated fats.

Like 3
  • Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis

Wheat Belly was the original book that turned the nutritional world topsy-turvy and exposed “healthy whole grains” as the genetically altered Frankenwheat imposed on the public by agri-cultural geneticists and agribusiness. The tidal wave of astounding health and weight loss successes, many of them recounted in Wheat Belly social media, has created a nationwide movement away from the destructive effects of wheat products.

• Removing products made with modern wheat yields astounding and often unexpected benefits in health and weight loss.
    • Autoimmune, gastrointestinal, and mind effects top the list for conditions that improve or reverse with wheat elimination.
    • Weight loss can occur at a surprising rate, typically 15-18 pounds over the first month, when wheat is eliminated.
    Like 2
  • Undoctored: The code on health has been cracked by Dr. William Davis

Many modern doctors hold themselves up as all-knowing, capable of managing every aspect of health, from delivery to death, from vaccination to senility. I know because I was guilty of this. The “I’m-the-doctor, you’re-the- patient relationship” has been frozen in time since the days of Hippocrates. Despite the high-tech image, old-fashioned methods are still used to maintain paternalistic authority.

All of it seems positively fossilized in an age of immediate information access, on-demand videos, drone deliveries, and the democratization of discussion via social media. The information tide has shifted. Public ignorance in health may have been the rule in 1950, but rapid dissemination of information in our age has usurped this lopsided relationship, making the paternalistic doctor-patient relationship of the past as relevant as trepanation (drilling holes in the skull—yes, a real practice) to treat migraines.

The truth is: You have access to the same information as your doctor. And it doesn’t involve leafing through dozens of thick volumes of the Index Medicus and then having to retrieve a study from dusty stacks of medical journals, like I did during my medical training.

So what if we combined the newly found informational freedom provided by Internet search capabilities with the human feedback tool of social media and the rise in direct-to-consumer testing that circumvents the doctor, then threw in a little benign guidance from sources that do not seek to profit from providing it? You might just be on your way to wielding considerable authority over your own health.

Unquestionably, there are situations in which doctoring and the healthcare system are needed. If you are bleeding, injured, or struggling to breathe with pneumonia, some old-fashioned suturing, bone setting, or antibiotics can still do the trick. Nobody around here is going to try to replace their own hip joint or treat a urinary tract infection with salves and tonics.

But it’s these less-than-interesting health issues for your doctor that are wonderfully and safely reduced, reversed, and—dare I say it—cured by a handful of simple strategies that you can implement on your own. You’ll be spared the annoyances and dangers of the healthcare system, and because you are obviously not trying to profit financially, you will remove layers of unnecessary costs. You will also find personal health challenges far more fascinating to deal with since they involve you.

Let’s be absolutely clear: I propose that people can manage their own health safely and responsibly and attain results superior to those achieved through conventional health care—not less than, not on par with, but superior.

You will see that the Undoctored process turns the health equation around 180 degrees by providing an approach that first restores head-to-toe health in unexpected ways, reversing numerous health distortions, many of which you are likely unaware that you had, as well as many overt health conditions. I predict that your Undoctored efforts will dramatically reduce your need for health care while helping you to feel better (and even look better) and sparing you from hundreds of health issues.

So turn on the reading light, get cozy in your chair, grab the remote to switch off the medical drama airing on TV, and prepare to be enlightened and know that your future will be brighter and healthier, all because you decided that you’ve had enough of being a source of profit for the healthcare system while never really receiving health in return and that you are going to take back control over your health and fate, all Undoctored.

Like 6
  • In the spirit of putting into practice what Dr. William Davis advocates in his book-Undoctored, here is information about a wonderful device to monitor your blood glucose (BG) at home. I purchased the Contour Next One BG Monitoring System from Amazon for $11.99. While the information below from the manufacturer references "managing your diabetes" I am not a diabetic,  just proactively monitoring BG to prevent development of pre-diabetes/diabetes. Additionally, this device will support posting your BG readings in the Carb Management app.  Let me know if anyone has any questions.

The new age of smart diabetes management:

By integrating your blood glucose (BG) meter with a smartphone app you can simplify the management of your diabetes. BG results captured throughout the day can be automatically synced and logged. And over time, your results may create meaningful insights into how your activities affect your BG levels, which can help improve your understanding of your diabetes. All the while being on the same platform you use for so many other aspects of your life – your smartphone!

Simple to use, the remarkably accurate CONTOURÂźNEXT ONE smart meter and CONTOURÂźDIABETES app seamlessly connect to capture all your BG readings and help you to manage your diabetes, smarter.

This smart system allows you to engage at the level that is right for you to manage your diabetes.

Like 2
    • wamdesigns
    • Back at it again...
    • wamdesigns
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So I had my Doctors appointment ( had blood work done before this appointment) and I was prescribed a even higher amount of thyroid meds and in 3 months he wants to check my T4 and T3 levels to see if we need to add T3 meds. 

Also he said to skip dinner and see if I can loose weight again. As some of you know I have no thyroid function due to radiation to stop my hyperthyroidism due to cancer on the thyroid.

The reasons for me to be worried about this was that when I worked out, my hands/ fingers  where swelling up and my muscles started to feel like lead, I couldn't go past this and there was no pushing it, my muscles would not want to move and later in the afternoon my legs would hurt. 

I thought it was the Keto diet and showed him my food log, but he said my problem is that the thyroid meds are not enough. He is a VA Doctor and encouraged me to stay low carb, to eat breakfast and lunch and to skip dinner.

I'm putting this out here for any of you that may have similar problems and for you to take that seriously and get help for that. I had one morning where I went on the scale and all of sudden gained 5 lbs over night for no reason. It's heartbreaking when one does all right without any victory.

But the good news is, I been here before and when my medicine was adjusted I lost weight again.

Keep an close eye on your progress and write down all that goes into your body and log how you feel, so when you get stuck you see where and how it changed.

Like 1
    • wamdesigns
    • Back at it again...
    • wamdesigns
    • 6 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

hal_jacksonb622 I agree with you only about 2/3. I was smiling a bit reading your post. (I liked it)

Here is where I don't agree, not all know how to be completely honest with themselves to use the information that is readily available on the internet, or to dissect the truth from the lie. Later we still need help to get an inside look of the chemical map in our blood. I have been in awe when I was told to take no supplements while I was in training. I thought how could that be when there are all these promises on Minerals, Vitamins and beneficial bacteria? 

But I have been I call it lucky now, that my blood was tested once a year and in resent years 2 times a year. The only few times I had to add supplements where some Minerals. I was only low on a mineral, but never a vitamin C or B.... but when you look at the internet and you research on supplements, one would think we need to add all of that good stuff. 

Research is not everyone's forte. Separating truth from lies is not so easy too. I seen people get into a spin thinking they are very ill when they are not, because they Googled it. 

Thank you for your post, I greatly enjoyed it and yes we can do so much more with the power of the Internet, science  and robotics. Surely a cool world we are living in.

Like 1
Like61 Follow
  • 61 Likes
  • 1 yr agoLast active
  • 132Replies
  • 5218Views
  • 108 Following