Most successful Keto thickener for sauces and gravies

Hello! I recently made a recipe for cauliflower Mac and cheese. The flavor was good but it was very watery. It had cream cheese in the recipe but it wasn’t successful in thickening the sauce. Has anyone tried any Keto thickening substitutes for flour that you have been  happy with?  Thank you!

6replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • meto
    • meto
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I use chia  seeds often the flavor and consistence are always fine but at times the visual effect is sketchy.   You might also try arrow root.   Don

• Paperdiva
    • Paperdiva
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

XANTHAM GUM is the golden ticket!  Almost no carbs, you only need 1-2 teaspoons for about 4-6 cups.  Sprinkle it on a teaspoon at a time, stirring well in between.  It takes about 5 minutes or so till the thickening begins so you can wait then add more.  It’s flavorless too!  I’m never ever going back to flour or cornstarch again!

Like 8
  • I have tried Xantham Gum but I have a hard time with the "texure"/stickiness of it. Other than that, I love it!

• When I’ve used it I do it in small increases as it can thicken very quickly! But it does work well!

• J
    • fuchsia_bee
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Maybe a bit of coconut flour as per this page? https://living.thebump.com/cook-coconut-flour-main-dishes-11014.html

• WOJ24
    • WOJ24
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What about the macaroni, what kind of carb-free macaroni do you use? I just started on keto and not aware of any

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 354Views
  • 8 Following