New to Keto

Hi All, my name is Christy.  I'm just diving into the Keto lifestyle and learning as I go.  Looking for any "friends" with helpful info or tips that can help this newbie.

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Lisarose
    • Lisarose
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hello Christy, I’m new here too. I really don’t have any clue what I’m doing, but am learning as I go. I just made the Keto Breakfast Lasagna and it was delishious. I’m wishing you good luck on this journey 

• scjudd1986
    • CAD Tech
    • scjudd1986
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It's important to figure out your macros needed and the reason why you've decided to go keto (weight loss, maintenance, health benefits, etc.)

For my macros, I used a calculator at perfectketo.com . A simply google search should pull that one up. I then entered my macros manually on the carb manager app.

I watch a lot of YouTube channels (Keto Connect, Thomas DeLauer, Dr Eric Berg, Dr Ken Berry MD, 2 Fit Docs), all of which have great info on the keto lifestyle! Keto Connect has some great recipes, all of the ones I have tried have been excellent.

Like 1
  • Congratulations on starting your keto journey.  We are a friendly bunch so don't hesitate to ask questions. 

• Lisarose thank you so much for the well wishes!  Your breakfast sounds delicious!   I too am learning as I go.  I wish you the best as well in your journey

Like 1
  • sonyalturnere1de thank you so much!   I'm looking forward to interacting with this community 

• scjudd1986 thank you so much for all the information!  I have been watching Dr. Ken Berry, I will have to look up the others you provided.  Thank you again for all the helpful info 

Like 2
    • JackieOh
    • JackieOh
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

scjudd1986 hi I’m new also and your response sparked a question lol.  I used this app to come up with my numbers.  Is that not accurate? 

• scjudd1986
    • CAD Tech
    • scjudd1986
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

JackieOh The calculator on the app is accurate, but limited as far as to what I wanted to do to achieve a lot of loss quickly for a competition.

I had decided personally to put myself into more of a caloric deficit than the app allowed, so I used the calculator at the website that I mentioned. I stuck to it for a solid three months (there was a Wellness Challenge at work which I ended up winning), and now I'm coasting along without logging anything and still losing weight.

• xxxx
    • Margie440
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I am new to site, and welcome you. Helpful tips for me came from YouTube videos from "DietDoctor.com," and "Dr Ken Berry." Each site provides valuable beginning tips. One of the keys I will pass on is keep total carbs below 20 (best not net carbs) and find a tracking site to keep your macro nutrient counts honest. Sites like KetoDiet, etc. Best of luck, supporting you all the way. It will be like climbing a hill at first, but steady pace, endurance and commitment will keep you on the path. You got my support.

Like 1
    • xxxx
    • Margie440
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Christy, forget to share...you have up days and down days. It is not easy peasy for any of us. And sharing what is going on helps. This is a journey you can take with others - you are never alone. scjudd1986  noted very well tracking, variety of recipes, and just sticking with the process is important. You can smell the roses at different phases of your journey. Find ways to celebrate that do not evolve around food...be gentle with yourself (no bashing allowed) and forgive yourself readily for slip-ups - they happen, learn from them. Perhaps keeping a journal first couple of months will help. Okay enough preaching...take care, be good to yourself. 

Like 1
Like4 Follow
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 196Views
  • 8 Following