Creating a calorie deficit on keto

I have lost and gained weight many times throughout my life, so I know that in order to lose weight one must create a calorie deficit. With as much fat as I eat on this diet, I’m finding it nearly impossible to create this calorie deficit. I have lost about 4 pounds in 6 weeks, and I’m convinced it’s mostly water weight because my clothes don’t feel any different. So I find myself wondering if the high maintenance/heart unhealthy aspect of this diet is worth it given that I don’t find myself losing weight as fast as I thought I would. Does anyone have any tips for me before I give up and try a more suitable diet? TIA...

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Have you used the app to work out your macros (based on height, weight, activity level, etc) and then aimed for them?  Getting enough fat in?  water?

• have been using the app to calculate and log my macros since I started, which is why I know that I’m not creating a calorie deficit. I often meet or just miss my fat allotment for the day, and yes I’m drinking plenty of water. Also have noticed that I sometimes go over my protein allotment and I’ve wondered if that’s also playing a factor...

• goplay
    • goplay
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think the key for me was getting the fat up (as it is your new fuel) and keeping the protein in check (I started out protein heavy)--I never watched the calories much.

Like 2
  • Day 5 for me down 6 lbs.  Since I failed at this diet last year I knew going in that I would count every ounce.      Record your food as soon as you can or before you cook so you will know how much of each macros you are getting.  Fat and protein is a challenge for me so I know that is something  I  have to work on.  Ribs for dinner got me over my fat one day and who doesn't like ribs :).                                                 I have a portable kitchen timer that I set for 10 mins and go outside to scoop the poop (horse owner).                                                                             Good luck and try to stick with it. 

Like 1
    • Jules
    • julesalinas66ecc
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

How often are you eating - if you are constantly eating/snacking, you'll never give yourself the opportunity to burn the fat (when insulin is high, fat burning doesn't happen). Maybe try some time restricted feeding or INtermittent fasting? 

Like 6
    • Rosey
    • Rosey
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I lost 4 lbs in 8 days.  Dead stop.  But that's to be expected.  It's water shedding due to the change in my diet.  Sometimes it takes a long time and then all of a sudden your body gets the message that it's just not going to get the carbs and the weight starts to drop off.  I concentrate on carb count and let the macros take care of themselves.  (Yep, I just refuse to stress.)

Fat is your friend.  Eat fatty meats, dribble on the grease for flavor and if you must have seconds on anything make it the fatty meat.  Eat fat, burn fat and keep your carbs low - carbs come from veggies and that's what you should be limiting.   Use heavy cream to thicken drippings for gravy.   By the way, healthy fats are good for you, it's the processed ones that do the harm.   I have found a couple of great recipes for "bread" muffins in the microwave using almond flour, butter, and egg which is really helping me.   I use it as my muffin for egg, cheese, and sausage and I have my McMuffin fix.  It's about 3- carbs and very filling.

Don't give up.  You're just getting started.  Anything worthwhile is worth sticking with and researching to find ways to make it more enjoyable.  Eat 3 meals a day with a cheese slice if you need a snack or a deviled egg.   If you want low carb diets to work you have to stay committed because if you go off on, off on, you will definitely gain weight.  I did this and believe me, I paid for it.   Now I am committed and am concentrating on adding lots of variety so I don't "fall off the wagon."   ;)  I didn't gain all this weight in 6 weeks and it's not going to fall off in 6 weeks.

I'm finding it fun researching all the recipes.  Try Pinterest -- tons of stuff.  Just type in Keto.  Have a third of a cup of Chocolate Mousse made with heavy cream, bakers chocolate, and sweetener to fix that craving.

Stop worrying about the calories and just plan low carb menus within your daily carb limit.   I set my daily Carb Limit at 15.  Some days, I don't even meet my carb limit because I'm not that hungry and don't fix a certain vegetable.  You can do a low-calorie diet or a keto/low carb diet,   You can't do both because they work in opposite ways.  I wish there was more aimed at carbs instead of calories which I don't use.

Above all, don't stress.    :)

Like 2
    • Laurie
    • Laurie.12
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Initially I wasn't watching my calorie totals, thus my macros were completely a mess!  Once I factored in the total number of calories I would eat, my daily macro-goals were established. I've been using this app as a food journal and I record everything.  MCT oil has been a life saver for me because I didn't want my fuel to come solely from dairy and red meat.  Stay with it.  And re-examine your calorie goals and use MCT.

Like 1
    • Laurie
    • Laurie.12
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Also there's a great podcast with the director. Of functional medicine at the Cleveland Clinic.  Very informative.  Google Cleveland clinic keto diet podcasts.

Like 2
  • Calories do matter on keto. I was staying in my macros but going too far over my calorie goals. The body has to be able to burn the fat fuel, if you over eat it will burn dietary fat and the goal is to burn body fat, so don’t give up. 

Like 2
    • Mel
    • Mel.13
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

When I started I didn't pay attention to calories. I made sure I used my carbs on veggies - keeps you regular. I don't eat those fat bombs, have never needed them. Use olive and avocado oil and some mct oil - those are your good fats. I started out with a lot of dairy and the found out it has inflammatory properties which can slow down your weight loss. Still have some, but don't make it a focus. When you get to the point you are not hungry, THEN you can cut back on some of your fat. That lets you know you are getting enough and your body is burning it. Also, going too low on carbs in the beginning I think can sabotage you. I cut back slowly, and have lost roughly 42 pounds since Oct/Nov. Slow but sure wins the race! Good luck!

Like 1
Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 268Views
  • 8 Following