Fitbit Active Minutes/Calories ??????

I am confused.  I linked my Fitbit to CM today and all I have done is sit at a desk and it shows 245 calories burned and 7 active minutes.  Yesterday it shows 1226 calories burned and 115 active minutes (I did 50 minutes of walking).  The number of calories seem high.  

How do you use the Fitbit calories?  Do you subtract these from your intake and in turn can eat more?  I saw an option to also subtract these from your macros?

Is the Keto goal to get only the recommended number of calories no matter your level of exercise or increase your calories and macros to the fitbit adjustment as long as you don't go over your recommended number of calories?  For example:   Fitbit adjustment was 1226 for yesterday so Carb Manager told me at the end of the day that I had 31 of 1602 Net Calories.  So should I have ate more to be in keto?  My actual intake of calories was 1640 6% carbs, 68% fat, and 26% protein.

I guess I am asking how you should "use" the Fitbit information...... 

17replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Would like to know too

Like 1
    • KPierce5
    • KPierce5
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Curious as well. Same thing happened with Apple Watch fitness tracking. 

Like 2
    • Christine
    • Christine.10
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just started and noticed this as well... linked my Apple Watch. I walk on treadmill about an hour a morning and it “reimburses” me about 5 carbs and calories. Plus I noticed as I move around all day it will add on a few more active minutes and reimburse even more. So I’m also wondering if I should go by the “subtotal” actual amounts or the amount after exercise is subtracted? My proteins and fats seem to decrease throughout the day as well. Thanks for any input.

Like 1
  • Hi, new here and can’t even figure out how to sync my Fitbit to CM... any help is appreciated as I don’t see a setting in either.  Also hoping to see an answer for when I do! Thanks!

Like 1
  • See screenshot shot settings here

• There is an option to set the calories either way: that it just shows your burned calories or that it subtracts those from the foods eaten. I can’t remember where I saw the option when I first set mine up in August, but I did see it. I asked around at that time and concluded that calorie counter people do it both ways just depending on preference. It’s really the same data, just depends on how you want to consider it for your daily goals.

• Thanks for the replies- my charge 3 does update now and the low carb app too- remains a problem where certain foods are not recognised. Could improve

• I have the same question.  After Fitbit adjustment, I have huge caloric deficits.  Doesn't seem right.

Like 1
    • Kimet
    • Kimet
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm going to just eat keto, look at my macros  and ignore any calorie deficits from fit bit. If we are eating what we should-low carb, high fat, and medium protein after we get into ketosis we won't be hungry and if we are, we eat a bit more fat/protein because that satisfies our hunger better/longer.  I would assume the technology of fitbit algorithms is based  on the standard american diet...calories in calories out which most of know doesn't really apply with keto.  If your not hungry don't eat to satisfy the technology. Fitbit is a tool  and keeps me motivated to keep moving. Just my thoughts. 

Like 2
  • I am new and charged up my fitbit today (stopped wearing it) . My thought is the calories burned should equal more calories you can eat?  This might not work in Keto but I can not imagine that it is that much different. Thanks 

• jax789
    • Strict keto - Week 1
    • jax789
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I believe the devices calculate from your bpm. I agree with @kimet -  keep an eye on ur macros and ignore the  the calorie deficits .

I’m currently using the Apple Watch. I find the devices quite helpful to keep one moving 

Like 1
  • I synced my fitbit earlier today and my calorie allowance changed. 

• Babalexandra  Sync your fitbit from the fitbit app :)

• AJQ
    • AJQ
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I link my fitness tracker to the app, but I don't let it deduct from my total calories. I don't think the fitness calories are all that accurate and don't want to increase my intake based on them. 

Like 3
  • I have heard of issues with smart watches not reporting the correct calories burned. It maybe better to input your work outs manually instead of letting your watch do the calculating. 

If you sit a the desk and move your arms a lot your watch maybe interpreting  that as movement. 

• jax789 

I use the Apple Watch as well an notice some errors in reporting. CM is using the Apple’s Health App to pull in the information. The Outdoor Walks done not show the correct amount of time you worked out but if you look at the actual exercise it has the correct time.   I had the same issue with a bike ride.  Therefore, I would suggest to not use the exercise as a way to eat more. 

• jax789 

I agree it does prompt to get up and move. Also, the watch inspires you to complete all three rings every day (move, exercise, stand) to get achievement awards. 

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 17Replies
  • 570Views
  • 13 Following