New and motivation plummeting already :(

Hey guys. My boyfriend and I started keto about 2 weeks ago. He’s already lost 5lbs, noticeably different, belt needs tightened to keep pants up and coworkers commenting on him looking slimmer. Awesome for him although he doesn’t need to lose much he’s mostly doing it to support me and help keep me accountable. But the fact that he’s made so much progress when my weight and measurements have stayed the same is a little depressing. I keep telling myself it’s only been 2 weeks (also I know he’s a guy with a better metabolism and muscle mass) but it still sucks. How long did it take you guys to start seeing results when you started? My goal is set to 4.5lbs a month, I didn’t think that was too unreasonable 

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Are you reading any and all labels on any prepared things?

Have you invested in some keto sticks to see if there's a high level of ketones in your system?

I started 12 days ago, and jump-started myself with all protein/fats. This works for me personally as appetite suppressant. Also kicked me into ketosis by day 3. 

I work to follow total carbs, not net carbs. 

2 days ago I lowered my daily calorie allowance already. 

I've done low carb in the past, so I know what's expected and how my body reacts. 

It can take some time to figure out your sweet spot as everyone is different.

Best thing to do is track everything you are eating. If there's no scale movement in a week, then consider changing something.

If you two are eating together, what ever is working for him might not necessarily work for you.

But if I were in your shoes my first step now would be to find some keto sticks and test your urine.

If there's no color change (towards the deep purple) it means you likely are consuming some hidden sugars or too many carbs.

Tracking is so important to help figure out what is going on.

Like 1
    • Spennato
    • spennato
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I started a week ago and have been pretty diligent in preparing all foods myself and avoiding ANY processed foods. (I even skipped trying any of the 3 birthday cakes my son had) That being said I have lost 10 lbs and 5 inches of the waist. However I was 290 lbs when I started so I guess the more weight you have to lose the faster it comes off when you start eating right. Have not gone to gym at all.

Like 2
  • Jill Carpenter we do use keto strips. I have been between 1.5 and 4 range the majority of the time. I got to a really dark color maybe once. But the package says the optimal weight loss range is where I’m at.

I’ve been tracking everything and reading labels. I’ve been under my carb goal each day (goal is 22 but I hit maybe 14-17 a day)

Like 1
  • Spennato that’s awesome! I also have a lot to lose (I’m 260lbs) which is why I thought it would start coming off faster. My boyfriend is only 180 and he’s losing faster than me

• You might not be eating enough fat which I know is hard to believe since we have been told it is the forbidden fruit.   Try not to go over in your proteins and carbs.  Remove an item from your daily intake such as dairy (except butter).   Extend your fasting i.e. from the last time you eat at night until breakfast. You will be surprised to wake up one morning, weigh and bam you lost weight 👋

Like 1
    • Mary
    • marynyc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

If helps me to remember why I started.

Like 1
    • Stacy
    • Stacy.15
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I’ve been ketoing for a week so I am no expert. What’s been helping me is this APP ... I joined the 28 day challenge & am following the guidelines for it and I am truthfully weighing, measuring & tracking everything.. Also, I am doing a Fitbit challenge with a friend...I think exercise helps. Some days are easier than others, hang in there 😁

Like 2
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 195Views
  • 6 Following