Learning still

Hi, I’m new to Keto and I’m pre-diabetic.  Can any explain to me what diabetic carb is?  Not sure if it means to stay away from them or if it’s a good garb to have?

1reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Nicbie7
    • Nicbie7
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

After a little research I found some info:

There are 3 types of carb counting - total carbs, diabetes carbs, and net carbs. For people using insulin, use the diabetes carb count since it is the advanced carb counting technique taught in most clinics. It accounts for the lower digestable/absorbable carb load when the food has fiber and/or sugar alcohols.

Another article explains:

Total Carbs. The most common method of carb counting is to count total carb grams listed on the Nutrition Facts panel. This is the method of carb counting most often taught in diabetes education classes, especially for people newly diagnosed with diabetes.

Net Carbs. This value comes from subtracting all fiber and sugar alcohol grams from total carb grams. This method is no longer taught in diabetes education classes since it underestimates the total digestible carb load (and therefore, the expected rise in blood glucose after eating). Some amount of soluble or viscous fibers, although not digested in the small intestine, can be broken down in the large intestine, absorbed, and then converted to glucose. Also, some amount of sugar alcohols (low caloric sweetener) can be broken down and converted to glucose. This form of carb counting is fine for low carb diets but if you take rapid-acting insulin and find that your post-meal blood glucose is too high, then you might want to get help with adjusting your insulin to carb ratio or choose a different carb counting method.

Diabetes Carb Count. For those of you who use an insulin to carb ratio to dose your rapid-acting insulin, you might have been taught advanced carb counting. MyNetDiary Diabetes Tracker includes this method of carb counting as “Diabetes Carb Count:”

Total Carbs − ½ (fiber if ≥ 5 grams/serving) − ½ (sugar alcohols if ≥ 5 grams/serving)

Please talk with your diabetes educator about the type of carb counting to follow or if you need help transitioning from one method to another.

Like Follow
  • 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 30Views
  • 2 Following