Up & Down Ketones

Hello all,

This is my first time in the world of Keto!  I managed going from my highest 291lbs to 210lbs over a few years the hard way.  Now I want to see what this Keto is all about. I'm excited and very focused.  I check my ketone levels using a blood meter and the only time I've scored a 1.6-2.6 is when I did a 48 hr fast. Water, Coffee, Tea only. What I confused on, is that I can't keep my ketone level up. Mornings are under .8, same with afternoons and evenings. I don't seem to manage to be able to stay in the optimal burning range of 1.5-3.0mmg/l regularly, even though I'm watching my carbs brutally and making sure I never take in more than 15 grams carbs.  Granted it's only been 2 weeks and I've lost 4 lbs total. I didn't have the initial water loss as I was transitioning off the HCG diet protocol, which took 20 lbs off me the previous 4 weeks.  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding keeping my ketone level in the optimal range?  Am I just being impatient? My body needs more time for fat adaption? I'm getting scared that even putting foods into my mouth are preventing me from entering this range and that my only option to stay there is fasting forever.  =( It's hard after attempting and failing so many lifestyles then getting so hopeful reading everyone else's success' that Keto isn't going to work for. Thus suffering another disappoint from hype. I'm at 1400 calories, 75% Fat, 20% Protein, 5% carbs.  I'm starting to think that my body is so sensitive to carbs that I don't want to eat any.  

Anyone out there with suggestions? Advice? Open to all and any tips/info that could assist me.

2replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Ketones levels will go up and down during the day.  What you are seeing is typical. Try only testing once a day at the same time. I only test a few times a week in the late afternoon. It’s enough keep me on track. 

• Jojolmh
    • jojolmh71
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks so much for the reply Lynn!  I'm taking your advice and only testing once a day. When i see more consistency I will cut back even more.  I did a lot of walking yesterday to exhaust any glycogen in my body and managed a 2.3 that I was very happy about.

Feeling so focused on this Keto and loving it, just want to be sure that all is going well.

Like Follow
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 30Views
  • 2 Following